Michael Reichmann "This is Not a Review" on the K10

hugh_crawford1

The difference between Reichmann and Rockwell is fairly major. Reichmann doesn't claim to review cameras, just gives user reports, and seriously qualifies them with his work style. Rockwell 'reviews' stuff he's never even seen, let alone used.

I found Michael Reichmann's article particularly non-biased. He is primarily a digital Canon user and digital medium format enthusiast now, but heavily used Pentax (medium format) just a few years ago (if anyone has watched his early DVDs, you will see). He clearly understands what Pentax has come up in the K10D - an innovative camera that incorporates features he wishes his Canon would have.

Justin's comments above about Michael Reichmann betray a disappointing ignorance of Mr. Reichmann's background and point of view.

Mr. Reichmann is not a "Nikanon" fanboy. He has used the Pentax 645Nii and 67ii extensively in the past and, according to reviews still on his website, was quite happy with them. More recently, he shot with a Contax 645 system and several really expensive digital backs. He has also used Canon DSLR products quite a bit. His current "toy du jour" seems to be the Leica M8.

If Mr. Reichmann has a bias, it seems to be towards the latest really expensive "shiny object" from the photographic world. His gear articles do exhibit occasional inconsistencies. For example, he praised the use of rechargable AA batteries in his review of the Fuji S2, then turned around and criticized their use in the Pentax *ist-D.

I disagree with some of Reichmann's opinions, but I do believe that they come from an informed, experienced, and largely brand-bias-free viewpoint. Justin's opinion, on the other hand, reads like typical brand-biased fanboy response to a realistic gear appraisal.

Funny, the first people to complain about a lack of impartiality can't even get the facts straight. I read the Reichmann article, he makes it very clear that he is a Canon user and thus was accustomed to their way of doing things. I thought his commentary was very fair and quite positive, the banding issue he mentioned is demonstrable but he says it would probably not be a problem. I do not see this article as being biased nor does it claim any authority, just a casual use of an interesting new camera. As such it may actually be of more use than the usual pixel peeping (and pixel peeping does have its place).

Ira

I believe that Justin mischaracterized Michael Reichmann. Ken Rockwell, however, is another matter. In 2005, he published an article on his website titled "Pentax *ist DS *istDS Test Review". Buried in the text, however, he says, "I have not played with one, only read the press info".

So, we have a "test review" based solely on reading spec sheets and press releases. I doubt he'll bother with the K10D, which is just fine as far as I am concerned.