METZ MS-15 RING LIGHT W/ NIKON D850

rick_jack1

Has anyone used this combo? I bought one because it is supposed to be wireless TTL with Nikon DSLR's.

How does the flash communicate with the body? it has no module, do I need to purchase a transmitter for the body, if so what is my cheapest option?

I called B&H and they had no clue, trying to get through to Metz is impossible.

thank you for ant help,

RICK

n

Doesn't the video on this page explain it?

Damned expensive for two puny flashes stuck either side of the lens if you ask me.

Kenro make a similar flash with either Nikon or Canon compatibility for less than half the price. There's also a proper circular tubed ring flash (that was) sold under the Cobra and Starblitz brands that can be picked up used for pocket money.

Doesn't the video on this page explain it?

Damned expensive for two puny flashes stuck either side of the lens if you ask me.

Kenro make a similar flash with either Nikon or Canon compatibility for less than half the price. There's also a proper circular tubed ring flash (that was) sold under the Cobra and Starblitz brands that can be picked up used for pocket money.

Thanks Joe,

I briefly looked into the Kenro and didn't find enough info to be certain it would work in TTL with my 850. I tried some cheaper Ring Lights that I found on the web (a Chinese unit originally designed for dental work) and found that they were too weak for outdoor flower shots, I could not overpower the ambient light to get a black background. The reviews of the Metz showed results like what I was looking for. I finally spoke to someone at Metz, that unit will not work with TTL with my D850, only in manual. It will work with TTL with my D750. It uses a IR signal not radio. It only works on cameras with built in flashes. I will give it a try and decide if I'm keeping it.

best regards,

Rick

The Kenro is stated as having a GN of 14, while the Metz quoted GN is 15 - a trivial difference. So I don't see why the Kenro shouldn't give near identical results to the Metz.

Also, the Kenro controller is simply a modified speedlight and fits in the camera hotshoe to give TTL control. So it'll work equally well on a D850.

I just measured the GN of a little Centon/Starblitz/Cobra ringflash - somehow I've managed to acquire 4 of them - the GN is 4.5. That doesn't sound like much, but it's usually more than enough for macro work; giving a working aperture of f/16 when the ringflash is 300mm/1ft from the subject.

Not sure why you're looking to get a black background for flowers. If you carry a sizeable piece of leaf-green card or paper to put behind the flower, it looks much more natural. Or white paper/card for the look of a specimen book.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

The Kenro is stated as having a GN of 14, while the Metz quoted GN is 15 - a trivial difference. So I don't see why the Kenro shouldn't give near identical results to the Metz.

Also, the Kenro controller is simply a modified speedlight and fits in the camera hotshoe to give TTL control. So it'll work equally well on a D850.

I just measured the GN of a little Centon/Starblitz/Cobra ringflash - somehow I've managed to acquire 4 of them - the GN is 4.5. That doesn't sound like much, but it's usually more than enough for macro work; giving a working aperture of f/16 when the ringflash is 300mm/1ft from the subject.

Not sure why you're looking to get a black background for flowers. If you carry a sizeable piece of leaf-green card or paper to put behind the flower, it looks much more natural. Or white paper/card for the look of a specimen book.

Hi Joe,

I think I will look at a Kenro I might return the Metz. As you mentioned I should start using paper behind my plants. The black background look was just something I was playing with and I might be converting to mono. I can probably get the effect I want in photoshop.

Thank you again,

Rick

I think I will look at a Kenro I might return the Metz.

I think that's a good plan. The Metz seems like a poor match with a D850.

I bet Metz designers thought they were being so clever in making a flash that recognised all those cameras' optical signals..... and then Canon and Nikon switch to RF flash triggering!

One really shouldn't laugh. But tee-hee!:D