Metz Flash

studio jb

At almost half the price of Metz 60 CT4, there is Metz 45 CL4. It works very well with six automatic apertures from 2,8 to 16. With a 400-ISO film and aperture 5,6 it has a reach of 6-8 meters with a soft bouncer attached. If you need more power the 60 CT4 is the better chooise.

The Metz 60 series has a separate dry battery power source that you sling over your shoulder. The 45 series is the standard hammerhead that the press has been using since it's introduction, and needs the Metz nicad. A car charger is available if you're mobile and runs off the cigarette lighter. The 42CZ3 I think it is, is a small unit but has more bells and whistles than your camera can use. I've been using 45CT1 for 15 years, and it was used when I bought it - great flash, super reliable. Try them and see how they handle.

For best overall I recommend a Metz 45. It has enough juice to do bounce flash at f5.6-f8 most uses, can run on ordinary AA batteries for casual use, can use nicad packs if AA buying AA batteries gets too expensive, and can run on a Quantum pack in heavy usage.

It has about a stop less power than the big Metz 60, but otoh you don't _have_ to use an external power pack.

Several years ago I carefully checked my Metz 45 with a flashmeter in both direct and bounce flash, worked up a correction factor, and just never got around to buying the TTL module for my Rollei. I found that I just didn't need it.

In some situations, such as shooting in large rooms in which the background is far away or shooting macro, TTL would be of great benefit...but I don't do those things.

If you are using slow films like ISO100 get the 60CT-4. If you use faster films (ISO400) then you can use the 45CL-4. The reason being that the difference in film speed makes up for the difference in flash power.

If you go with the 45CL-4, and need a pack for it, Get the Metz P50 power pack. Avoid the Quantum. I had toasted a flash with that thing. It blew the flashtube and thyristor, as it has much to high a voltage for the 45 to handle.

The 60 has it's own pack which admittedly is heavy on your shoulder strap, but the handle up on your flash bracket is actually lighter than the 45CL-4.

• 8 months later...

I use a Metz 45CL-4 for weddings with my 500c/m's. I also use a Lumedyne mini cycler for a power source. I find that it is always enough light, and in fact is way more than I need on occasion.

The Metz flashes are all very easy to use and will give years of good service. My back-up light is a Vivitar 283, which puts out lots of light and can be purchased new for around $70!

I know people who use the Quantum Q-flash, but I have never liked it myself.

The 45 and 60 series Metz flashes are top notch professional tools. You probably will not be disappointed with any of them.

My $.02