Metz 40 MZ series - differences between versions?

elliot_n

Hi

I'm thinking of buying a secondhand Metz 40 MZ flashgun to couple with a Fuji

GSW690II rangefinder camera. It will replace a Vivitar 283 which does not have

sufficiently wide coverage to evenly light the Fuji's field of view. I'm attracted to the

Metz because of its low form, wide output, and fine controllability.

What I don't understand is the difference between the various incarnations of this

flashgun - there's a 40 MZ 1i (this is the one I'm thinking of buying) and a 40 MZ 3i.

And then there is also a 40 MZ 2 and a 40 MZ 3.

Could anyone enlighten me about the differences?

And is the 40 MZ 1i a good flashgun to couple with a Fuji medium-format

rangefinder?

Thanks

You can get the wide angle adapter for the 283 with wide angle diffusers which come in a kit. The 40MZs aren't that much more powerful than the Vivitars (guide no. 131 vs. 110). The guide numbers for both units decrease when the wide angle diffuser is used.

I have the 40MZ-1i, and the only difference between this and the 40MZ-3i is that the 3i has the secondary reflector for fill/bounce flash. The split is 90/10. If you don't need it, you can get the 1i. You'll need to get the "standard" foot for the unit since they are made to be used with dedicated modules.

The 40MZ-2 unit has identical specs to the 1 and 3i units but the zoom head goes to 85mm, not 105mm, but on the other end, the wide angle diffuser goes to 20mm while the 1 and 3i units go to 24mm. These units came before the 1 and 3i units and are probably cheaper.

Whether these flashes are good to couple with the Fuji depends on the kind of photography you are doing. Generally, it should work fine.