Metering of Bronica ETRS

canon man

I can't seem to find any thing directly stating whether or not the

AEII finder for the ETRS is capable of spot metering. I am assuming

it is not which is why I am looking at several spot meters right

nowsecond hand. But if it does have built in spot with AEII I figure

I would forgo the handheld meter for a while. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I've got the AEIII and there is a switch above the eyepiece that switches between spot and average. I can see the LCD below the focusing screen indicating either a big round dot (spot) and a rectange (average). However, there is no indication lines on the focusing screen indicating the area where the spot covers nor where the average measurement is taking from. sorry, I am quite used to the Nikon system.

Thanks Richard. While you have the manual, can you also help me out here: On the top surface of the AEIII there is a diopter adjustment dial. However, there seems to be no effect whatsoever I set it to until I further twist the little adjustment immediately above the eyepiece. Why is this so, and what is that extra knob above the eyepiece?

Daniel, The top of the AEIII finder has the "SP"/"AV" switch located on the left side, used to select the metering mode, and has the exposure compensation dial on the right side. This dial adjusts the exposure compensation in 1/3 stops up to + or - 2 stops. This dial does not adjust the diopter strength! The diopter adjustment knob is on the right side of the finder just above the eyepiece. Depress the battery check button located on the body next to the shutter speed dial and turn the diopter knob until the red light appears sharp - that will be the proper setting for your eyes. If you cannot obtain a sharp red light you may need to purchase an accessory screw in diopter for the eyepiece. The knob located just to the left of the eyepiece is the eyepiece shutter, used to prevent light, which could influence the meter reading, from entering the prism when your eye is not placed against the finder. From my experience, when in the averaging mode the meter seldom produces an overexposure therefore I usually compare the spot reading to the average and usually add 1/3 or 2/3 compensation. I find the meter compares very favorably with my Sekonic L-508 meter when I take the time to compare. Hope this helps.

I have found the Minolta M spot meter that arrived last Friday to be a very pleasing addition to my Bronica. I prefer to be able to meter specifics in my scene as compared to simply averaging the light available in my scene anyway. IOW I prefer to meter for my subject. The Minolta has a avreaging function to average between two points but I found that simply basing an exposure value between what I visually se between the two readings work just as esay and I can bias towrds a highlight or shadow if need be.

The AEII finder is really a joke if you ask me. Yes the meter is accurate but there is no exposure lock so metering then recomposing is kind of a nightmare. You meter, then set to manual then recompose using the original values. Just keep it manual and use the spot meter and I am fine. Therefore I concluded that the AEII is unnecassary for my puorposes. My Rotary arrived yesterday and has replced the metered prism, and my Waist level should be here soon. With tthis set up I am very happy, and find it medicinal to be able to meter my scene set my camera then make my shot. A lot more thought goes into every shot making it more my own.

I would like ot eventually get an ETRSi with an AEIII prism for when I need to shhot and go, but that is more for when I might need TTL flash than anything elses. First I am getting a Large Format. I shouldn't have sold mine last year as that old Newton Dual Rail made the perfect feild camear. I know where another is and am going to try and get it. It feels great to get back to basics. Who cares what new badass lens Canon or Nikon puts out, I can get just as good with this set up. Feels good to finally put the blessfully short gear head phase behind me and refocus on photography.

Thanks Richard and Daniel,

I've been slapping myself since this morning!! No wonder all my slides came back underexposed, it's because I thought the exposure compensation dial was the diopter adjustment and I've had it set to -1.5 since I first got the camera! I had put the blame on the meter and the lenses until now!!!

What will I do without this photo.net board! Now it's back to testing again, and I'm sure I'll get better results this time.

Thanks again to all.

Ohhh!!!I have mine set at 1/3 to 2. The way have that set is pretty stupid if ask me. I like the way Cnon does it and gives you +1/3 or -1/3 what was Bonica thinking with this 1/2...1...2 crap? I generally let my bells go off when I meter the scene and know what I should have according to the ISO I am using and the amout of light in a familiar scene and I know what I should be getting. If thesettings do not coincide with what I know to be normal for the situation I get out a meter I know I can depend on. In most cases I use my Canon camears as my gauge. They are always dead nuts on the money. In fact I will set my handhelds to my 1N, before it was my T90. Because I know from the chromes I get these meters do not lie.

I just got my 1N back from Canon. Man am I glad to have it back. It is such a smooth camera and deadly accurate. Mine looks liek its had lots of love and it has. I was going to sell it and keep my Elan 7...I am glad the wife demanded I keep the 1N over the Elan. I was going to keep the elan because its light weight for her. She had a cyst on her wrist and ever since she cannot hold heavy items. She told me she would rather get used to the weight of the 1N/booster than sacrifice it for a lesser camera.

Now I am looking to get another large format. the Bronica is a blast, and I am glad for the switch of the Bronica as my main camera, But the LF will be great for soem of the scenics I want to do, and the bronica my serious production camera and the 1N for those places where 35mm and Canon in particular shines over all. That would be long lenses. I care not to get a 500mm for my Bronica. F8 is not worth it for that. I can spend less and get better working light. So in the case of telephoto work in the extremes 35mm and Canon in particualr have the edge. Landscapes, and portraits I feel Medium Format and Large Format hold it. And in all this, a good light meter is a must!