metering modes

jack_nordine

<p>For years I've been using the evaluative metering mode on my Canons. Recently I started experimenting with the other modes and discovered that for the majority of my photos, I prefer spot metering over the others. I always assumed the majority of photographers used evaluative but now I'm not so sure. What is your metering mode of choice and why?</p>

<p>If I have time to chimp by looking at blinkies and the histogram, like Sarah, almost any reasonable starting point will do. If I have absolutely no time to chimp because events are moving fast, I'll use evaluative metering mode on my G12 or an EOS body, and dial in -2/3rds of a stop or so of exposure compensation . I'll then brighten up the image as much as needed later, in PP, and live with the possibility of noisy shadow areas. If things are moving not quite so fast, I'll chimp every few shots and, if adjustment is needed, tweak the exposure compensation that often.</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p>I had to pick up my camera and check. I flip flop between evaluative and center weighted. The meter reading is a starting point. Overall it is all that is needed for playing around and just shooting.<br>

When it really matters I have a handheld light meter. I use a Sekonic L-358. It is a necessity when looking for the "right" exposure. (especially with people, skin, strobes and flash). <br>

I use histograms and blinkies to make sure I haven't blown out highlights that are important. (keep in mind that camera settings can alter the threshold of these highlight alerts and that just because it blinks doesn't mean data is lost in RAW) All these tools provide information to be filtered through the final exposure computer (the brain).<br>

So... when you have carefully examined the scene and measured the light carefully and calculated everything you need for the perfect exposure... bracket the hell out of it!</p>

<p>When using reflective metering I tend to use center weighted, sometimes matrix, but not often. I generally, however, prefer incident readings...they just place things in better perspective for me.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"What is your metering mode of choice and why?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The choice of Camera Mode usually dictates the choice of Metering Mode, for me.</p>

<p>“M” Manual Camera Mode; or “B” Bulb Camera Modes - I am usually in Spot Metering Mode, because I compute from one or several spot readings.</p>

<p>“Tv” Shutter Priority; “Av” Aperture Priority and “P” Programme Mode, usually implies a pressure of time to make the shot and I am usually in Evaluative Metering Mode, to allow the automatic camera mode to be best leveraged.</p>

<p>For many backlit or bright background scenes and when using Tv Av or P Camera Modes; I will also use Centre Weighted Average, because I find this more reliable (in these lighting scenarios) than Evaluative; CWA is an easier metering mode for me to instinctively understand and thus it is quicker and easier to for me apply EC (Exposure Compensation) as and when necessary.</p>

<p>I rarely use Partial Metering Mode – except I do use it on EOS Cameras which do not have Spot Metering – and I use it as described above as my <em>pseudo</em> Spot Metering Mode.</p>

<p>WW</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>I tend to use Evaluative metering most of the time. Unless you have a 1D (and I don't!) its the only way you can meter the exposure across the frame using the AF points - although I guess you can use the moving frame in Live View (which is still Evaluative) but that can be a little fiddly and slow. The other modes require holding the AE Lock button and recomposing the shot, which is fine but generally I prefer to meter and shoot what I'm already pointing at.</p>