katydid

I was reading some of the posts which inspired me to learn about layers in

photoshop this afternoon. I did a fill layer (black) and a blur layer. Now I

would like to warm up the skin tones but I can't seem to make another

adjustments layer to do so. Am I missing something? How would you go about

warming up the skin tone or giving them that portrait glow? I have moved

recently with another move coming up in a week or so so all my photoshop books

are packed.

Thanks!<div>00HOrL-31347584.thumb.jpg.42e934e024bf1e6fec2cbb9b7d733714.jpg</div>

Hi Katie, sorry, but I don't have an answer as I am just learning but I wonder if there is something you can do to bring them away from the background more, maybe darken it? His face and her head seem to blend in too much with the background. Maybe changing the skin tones will do that? However, their skin looks good on my monitor

Sorry, good luck with your move!

Not sure where you are with your stack of layers so try this:

1) hold down CTRL ALT SHIFT and then tap the E key to create a new composite of your layers. Make sure this layer is highlighted.

2) now, go to IMAGE, ADJUSTMENTS, PHOTO FILTER and pick out a warming filter and adjust the amount you want.

Note: there are many many ways to do the task and I've chosen a simple method that will warm the entire layer UNLESS you learn to use a feathered selection to select the area you want to warm then use the method above.

There are other tools and plugins to do the same thing but it's always a good thing to get familiar with the basic photoshop tools to start with because this pays off in the long run when things get more complicated.

The step above (#1) which creates a composite of all layers up to that point is a good one to write down so you can remember it; it's an advanced step but it can be helpful when you've got numberous layers and you get confused and just need to make a small correction on one composite layer of the image up to that point. .... Label/rename the layer as "Comp#1" or something like that so you know what it is later.

Like I said, there are many ways to do things so I hoping others chime in and give you another way to "get there from here".

Another note: start your Photoshop Notebook: use a spiral bound high school type notebook and have it on your desk. Everytime you get a winner tip from someone WRITE IT DOWN. Writing embeds the tip in your method better than copy and paste electronically.

Good Luck ... let the fun begin.

Possibly the last "note" but likely not so ........ Learning to start with a pristine photo is always the best photoshop method; it's always the number one bestest of the best tip to master: the ol' get it right in the camera trick. (... had to say that before the "get it right in the camera gang decends with truth).

Katie - I really wouldn't do much to this image. I think it's a fine shot as it is. Yes ok, the tree, the wisp coming out of the groom's mouth thing, but I really didn't see those things until someone pointed them out. I don't think they are sufficiently distracting to spend time on.

As photographers, we can always find a little problem here and there if we are so determined, that's our job. We are our own strict critic! But it is not worth hours and hours of our time noodling around with unimportant little details in Photoshop.

The best practice is to always try and nail that shot in the camera. I shoot RAW and limit my adjustments to exposure, colour balance etc. I rarely crop an image and I'm not really interested in hacking images around in Photoshop, just because I can.

Shoot it right in the camera. Tweak it gently, ie. Curves, Levels, Colour), print it well and you will have one very happy bride.

The bride and groom will love your shot and I suspect all the others too. You have a good technique and style.