On 27th of January I will start expedition to Aconcagua in Argentina. I

am going to take my Canon EOS 50E, Canon 28-205 mm, Canon 300 mm f4,

some filters, tripod... I am just wondering if it would make a sense to

take a macro lens (105 mm - additional weight)?! Is there something,

one can need macro lens for? Will be in the Mendoza region and will try

to climb polish glacier route. I highly appreciate every opinion based

on personal experience! Thanks a lot! Angel

Hi Angel,

I can't comment on macro opportunities in the Argentinian Andes, but I was in the Peruvian and Bolivian Andes a couple of years ago and I definately wish I had a macro then. I didn't venture above the snow line so I can't comment on macro opportunities up there, but on the lower slopes there were plenty. Flowers and insects were amazingly abundant, and interesting mosses and lichens were everywhere. If you want to save weight, then think about getting a 1.4x TC(Canon) and/or extension tubes for your 300/4. That should increase you magnificantion and close focusing ability. Also, extension tubes on your zoom lens will let you get really close at the 28mm end whilst still being able to get spectacular panoramas of the mountains in the background. Alternatively try a good quality close-up dioptre.

Hope this helps, have a great time,

Sam.

I spent a bit of time in Mendoza a few years ago. The city has many fountains which are lit at night. The best is near the city square. Try the wine there, particularly the reds. (It is best to photograph the vinyards BEFORE sampling the wine.) The Andes viewed from Mendoza are worth capturing. There are also a few volcanos nearby.

Alex

My partner and I climbed Aconcagua just on a year ago. On the whole, it is not a very beautiful place for photography but the Relinchos valley and polish glacier side are the nicest sides, though I didn't go up to the south face. We had originally planned to do the polish glacier too but ended up making three failed attempts up the normal route before succeeding on the false polish route. It is very dusty and hot up the vacas and horcones valleys and water is scarce at the top of the horcones especially (we traversed from Nido de Condores to Camp 2 on the polish). Higher up it is _very_ cold so you will need to keep the camera and batteries in your tent.

I did not see anything worth taking a macro lens for; I had an EOS 300 and 28-105 lens and didn't feel the need for anything else, though the 300mm lens could be fun for picking off climbers and routes on the polish and south faces.

Do use a mule to carry up much of your other gear, though I wouldn't trust them with anything expensive or breakable seeing how it is thrown around. Also remember it is high altitude so you may be a bit spaced out to do some real photography.

Good luck on the polish! It wasn't being climbed last year, though the polish direct was... the recommendation at the time was to climb the false polish _before_ you took on the glacier itself. We warmed up (acclimatised to the altitude) on a 5800m peak... recommended!