Meeting a potential client tomorrow for the the first time - tips?

saad_m

<p>Hey all</p>

<p>Im meeting a potential client tomorrow for the first time. She emailed me asking for price list etc, I sent it, then followed up but never heard from her. Anyway I got a call from her, and she said she had email problems. Her and her fiance went to my website again liked my work etc, and want to meet me tomorrow.<br>

Any tips? Presentation, dress? What can I do to maximise my chances of her booking me.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice!</p>

<p>Saad</p>

<p>Saad, to me, client meetings are about selling your personality. The clients have seen your work and prices and obviously like both otherwise you wouldn't be seeing them. When you meet with them, you should do more listening than talking and just be yourself. Also, it is very important that you get ALL the negative thoughts out of your mind. For example, thinking,"I don't think it is going well", or "I am not qualified", etc. will only show the couple that you may not be the right photographer.<br>

It is very important that you present the couple with something. Any printed material explaining your packages, approaches, maybe an 8x10 with a collage of various wedding images and your company name on top. They can't walk away empty handed.<br>

I would dress casually. You probably don't need suit and tie, unless that is your style. I usually wear a polo shirt or a long sleeve shirt with my company's name imprinted. This does connote a level of professionalism because you've at least invested your money to promote your business.<br>

Good luck, just be yourself and you'll go great!!!</p>

<p>Excellent - I work in sales too, and do a decent job so Ill just use those skills!</p>

<p>My only concern is that because I am fairly new, I dont have a lot of experience obviously, and havent photographed a huge number of weddings. Infact these people will be my first real clients since I started to start the business. How do I handle those types of questions. I want to ensure they know that I am up to the job, but dont want to be dishonest or anything, but dont want them to be afraid of hiring me due to experience etc</p>

<p>Saad</p>

<p>QUestions like what?<br>

I dont offer packages, but I can work out the price - very flexible on this, depends on <strong>number of pix</strong> they want and the <strong>time</strong> I need to spend taking pictures, lastly financial background of the client is important too.<br>

If they r freind's friends, I give 10-15 percent discount - from originally I'd ask, so it is not a proper discount, so far everyone was happy and I did ask my price lately (to ask slightly less and do the job right = both sides are happy) proved to be very useful for referals, but NO discounts to new clients.<br>

In the region where I live, hardly anyone is used to be pitched - so it is very easy to handle a meeting. Also, sales people in shops are amateurs and customer service sucks! Nothing like the US.<br>

Good luck with that meeting.</p>

<p>Max said: Saad, to me, client meetings are about selling your personality...<br /><br />I disagree. The couple wants to see if they feel comfortable working with Y O U. Not all clients match all couples. If it's not a match you will figure it out very early on. Not only that they want to see just what you are going to give them. <br /><br />I think your biz name on your shirt is very old school. I never see anyone around our parts sans one guy, doing that and I am in conservative, hard to change middle America where people are still using their flash, head on with no difusion whatsoever all the time, where albums are often plastic sheets, ya know?<br /><br />Be honest about your experience and your portfolio and let it go at that. Don't discount your services or rearrange all your packages. They either want to work with you or they don't. Just be polite, be yourself, dress biz casual or how you would on a wedding day. You'll be fine! Let us know how it goes.</p>

The questions you should ask involve the actual wedding and the reception. Also try to book an engagement sitting. Do it for free since it's your first time and let them pay for any enlargements. Call the free engagement session as your summer special. Some of the questions to ask are how many people will attend, the number of people in the bridal party, are there any divorced parent issues you need to be aware of, how long do they want you to stay for the wedding, ask if there are grand parents, tell them to make a sort list of the MUST shots to get at the wedding, such as out of town guests, co-workers, close friends, causins. How long is the ceremony? Some are only 10 minutes while others can be an hour long.

I don't think you need to sell yourself at this stage, but of course be honest with the couple; if for example, they ask how many weddings have you photographed. Chances are they won't ask, therefore don't bring it up. It's not important. Instead of trying to sell yourself talk about your photo's, as an artist and sort of educate the couple why your style, based on your images, may be different from other photographers. That's sort of a no brainer, because no 2 photographers shoot the same way, so it is easy to present your images as unique.

<p>It went very well. We had great raport, had a good laugh and chat. I explained the contract to them, gave the price sheet, showed them some images expained how I worked and they liked it, all for about an hour. Hopefully Ill get the call! Fingers crossed....</p>

<p>you just have to remember that this is a sales call and first impressions are always the most important. This is more likely than not you are meeting the client for the very first time. I I always were a nice suit and make sure I am looking professional. I never were casual clothes. </p>

<p>Recently I went to a clients house to meet with them about there upcoming wedding. As I was driving up I met this other photographer coming out... He had on Flip Flops, surf shorts and a T-shirt... Needless to say the client went with me, and even stated I was the most professional.. </p>