Meet my Good Friend the Tamron 01A

Since things seem a little slow on the CMC Forum, I thought I might initiate a few threads featuring various cameras, lenses and possibly accessories. As this will depend entirely on the time available I can't guarantee any regularity for posting, but I hope the posts will prove to be of interest to members. Most importantly, I hope they will serve to promote comment and discussion centered on the items featured, with members responding with accounts of experiences with these items and perhaps relevant sample images. A fleshing-out of the thread would make the exercise worthwhile and add to the valuable knowledge base available on Photo.net. As usual, I may not be correct in all the assertions or facts I offer, and corrections and debate are obviously welcome.

For an inaugural post I've chosen to feature a lens that many of our members will be familiar with, the Tamron Adaptall 2 SP 35-80mm f/2.8-3.8 (Model 01A), circa 1979-85.

Lens.jpg.dbaadc03cc007c4537ed198c8da49b2b.jpg

The editors of the definitive website adaptall-2.com state in their introduction to the 01a, " The Tamron SP 35-80 F/2.8-3.8 zoom lens is, without question, the best zoom lens ever manufactured within its class and price point", and go on to suggest that only the very similar Nikkor performs better, and not by very much. I'm not familiar with the Nikkor, but I have a quite comprehensive collections of short zoom lenses of similar configuration from this era, and I'd have difficulty in naming one I consider to be a better overall performer. Quite apart from an excellent resolving power at all apertures and zoom lengths, the little two-touch zoom lens is blessed with the Tamron "CF" feature. Often this is interpreted as "Close Focus", but in reality it refers to the Tamron "Continuous Focusing" engineering, a facility that allows the lens to continuously focus from infinity into close-up mode. The 01A lens does this by internal cams which automatically advances the zoom settings as the focus ring is rotated, a process much more convenient than having to press a button or slider in order to go into close-focus or "macro" mode. As I use the lens for much of my botanical work this feature is a real boon; let's say I start out at 40mm and reach sharp focus at the limit of the focus travel but still require a larger image. At that point progressive rotation of the focusing ring automatically rotates the zoom ring, extending the focal length of the lens to it's maximum 80mm length and permitting a working distance of about 10.6 inches (.27m) from the focal plane, providing a 1:2.5 magnification ratio. (If someone can supply a more lucid explanation of the phenomenon, please do!) The lens is tack sharp from about f/3.5 onward and even wide open the results are very good indeed; distortion is well-controlled with slight barrel distortion at the 35mm end of the range, as is common with most short zooms.

Here's a fuzzy diagram of the construction, 9 elements in 8 groups:

566212341_Tamronformula.jpg.e6929666dd196e50abf20963e41808b4.jpg

And here are a couple of equally fuzzy advertisements, included more for atmosphere than for the provision of information.

1191909572_TamronadsPnet.thumb.jpg.acf4348c0b15f557ef33e9ee6df7ffbc.jpg

As for drawbacks, mercifully there are few. No doubt due in part to it's very large 62mm front element, the lens will flare readily, even with a decent lens hood, so I don't consider it an ideal lens for landscape work or in situations where it would be pointed into a bright sky. For me it's the ideal lens for "intimate" subjects, where close focus combined with excellent contrast levels, image sharpness and colour rendition enable this lens to shine. Overall, it's right up to Tamron's SP quality standards; compact, solid, smooth and a joy to use.

I'll post a small sample gallery. The monochromes were take with the lens attached to the Minolta SRT 202 as in the first illustration, and the film was Arista EDU Ultra 200 developed in PMK Pyro and scanned on an Epson V700 Photo scanner using Silverfast SE software. The colour images are taken with a Sony ILCE 7R full-frame digital camera and typify the most common uses I have for this lens.

@The Martinborough

1316944493_@TheMartinborough.thumb.jpg.73b926cf52cc4f413eecb4099dc0f2af.jpg

Agapanthus

Agapanthus.thumb.jpg.6da505e0492bdecbb3cbd55b852b21d5.jpg

Bottling

Bottling.thumb.jpg.97a4690dd562075940f7d336dfa5c1d3.jpg

Convergence

Convergence.thumb.jpg.9a25e89aa4708ef665a08ea877972f3a.jpg

Detail #1

382686234_Detail1.thumb.jpg.e314f0b9a779cb34f765b8b0a1c76a1f.jpg

Detail #2

359557169_Detail2.thumb.jpg.87bf9200fb5b656ed9a64648f3a95145.jpg

Forbidding

Forbidding.thumb.jpg.2b957ef3e631d460bc655e1b48d9f8c2.jpg

Maloo

Maloo.thumb.jpg.d1bdf76c71019776280f625daa02207c.jpg

Playground

Playground.thumb.jpg.cbb613f60cf37c565b3bace28cf6af7e.jpg

Pure

Pure.thumb.jpg.b1c9637edb072410003d7b39dd3dcf37.jpg

Savage

Savage.thumb.jpg.30c6ac0741a3d553b028654318f86ab9.jpg

• Like 5

I've had this lens for over 20 years, and while it isn't my everyday "gp-to" lens, it certainly fills a yeoman's position in many cases, and through thick and thin, I've kept it. I had another copy years ago, which I attempted to fix an issue with and could never get it properly aligned after reassembly. It works well for me on both film and digital, which is a blessing. Thanks for your report...you do know you just drove up its price. ;)
  • Like 1

I appreciate your report on this lens and would enjoy more as you have opportunity. The only downside is that your skill as a photographer (I have long enjoyed your black and whites) makes some of us think we could do that if we just had that lens! SCL is right, the prices will go up! Thank you for sharing.
  • Like 1

Interesting report and as usual,super pictures Rick. I had one of these lenses briefly and the "Continuous Focusing" feature had me puzzled at first. Its easy to overlook some of these great third party lenses, it seems to me that the third party makers particularly Tamron were more apt to "push the envelope" with innovative designs, larger zoom ranges etc than the more conservative main camera manufacturers.

I too have been inactive of late and intend to make more contributions, perhaps when the current spell of dull and inhospitable weather relents and the brighter days inspire me to air some of my newer acquisitions.

• Like 1

This is an interesting story. I recall an 80-200, probably a 3.5, with anAdaptall Mount being the second lens I purchased after getting a fully loadedF2. For some reason I changed to a Sigma. Enjoyed both and got good use from them, wish I could find samples of them now.

Rick H.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought my example in '85, one of only two lenses I've bought absolutely new. It went all over the world with me for a very long time and still gets out to play from time to time when I don't feel the need for a zoom that goes a bit wider. Image quality is excellent, to say the least.