"Medium & Large Format Photography" by Hicks and Schultz

graham_wootton

Has anyone seen this recently released title and could give me an

opinion on its worth as a book on medium format photography? Some of

their early titles were excellent but one or two of their latest

releases (e.g."Perfect Exposure") are somewhat confused and I don't

want to order it sight unseen unless I know it is worthwhile.

Thanks.

It's a fairly basic guide, and has some dubious or outdated information in it. For instance; both 127 and half-plate sheet film are stated to be still available, as if they're both entirely viable formats. This is totally misleading, since half-plate is as dead as the Dodo, and 127 can only be got to special order, in a very limited range of emulsions.<br>Overall, I think this book comes into the 'coffee table' category. Just another Hicks&Schultz photographic potboiler make up out of backfiled articles and not very inspiring illustrations.

I glanced at this book in Dillons out of mild curiosity - very mild, since as another poster said these authors' books are generally in the "potboiler" category. Does anyone consulting this list really need to see another line-drawing or photo of a Hasselblad, and an outline of how it differs from a view camera? One good book by Hicks & Schultz is "Interior Shots" in the Pro Lighting series from Rotovision, authoritative and very useful. But even some highly inspiring photographers (which sadly Hicks & Schultz ain't) have made a substantial living from turning out reams of monotonous and not very useful coffee-table books. John Hedgecoe springs to mind.