Medium Format SLR Lens on 2x3 Pacemaker Speed Graphic?

<p>A lot of people have adapted the Kodak Aero-Ektar 178mm f2.5 WWII aerial reconnaissance lens to use on the 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic press camera..I have three questions that I am interested in having answered, if that is possible..First, is there a comparable fast large format lens that is adaptable to the smaller 2x3 Pacemaker Speed Graphic camera?..Second, is it possible to adapt modern fast medium format SLR lenses that can cover 6x7 to be used in barrel with the 2x3 Speed Graphic camera?..Third, what is the widest lens that can be used with the 2x3 Speed Graphic cameras?..The use of flash with a modern lens used in barrel is not of great concern to me..</p>

<p>Thanks for any and all responses..</p>

<p>Bruce</p>

<p>Well there can be multiple problems, fast lenses are heavy, and the front standard may not be able to support the lens and keep it parallel to the film plane. Second, can you get the lens close enough to the film plane to focus at infinity? A 65mm Angulon can cover 6x9 cm film on the small Linhof, but it need a recessed lensboard along with a dropped front and retracted focus slide to do it. I doubt that 6x7 slr lenses will have a large enough image circle to cover 6x9 cm film.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>Aero-Ektar . . . comparable fast large format lens</em></p>

<p>Fast lenses for 4 x 5 are uncommon and expensive, which I believe is why people go to the trouble of modifying surplus Aero-Ektars. For medium format, you have more solutions.</p>

<p>For a 23 Graphic, the best answer may be a 80 or 100mm f/2.8 Xenotar ($$), Noritar ($), or Planar ($$$), all of which have a double-Gauss design. They're uncommon on the used lens market--- some were supplied as original equipment with Graphics or Linhofs, and others have been salvaged from Graflex XLs. You may be able to find one in barrel, if you really don't want a shutter, and they all cover 6 x 7 straight on.</p>

<p><em>widest lens that can be used with the 2x3 Speed Graphic</em><br /><em></em><br />Some people say they have gotten 65mm lenses to focus on 23 Pacemaker Speeds. The graflex.org FAQ says <a href="http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/lenses.html">you can't count on this</a>. It may depend on the design of your specific lens and its exact flange focal distance.</p>

<p>If you really want to use wide angles on a Graphic, look for a Century or 23 Crown. My Century will focus a 47/5.6 Super Angulon, no problem. (No movements, either).</p>

<p>The graflex.org website has a lot of archived discussion about lenses, which may be helpful, although there's the usual modicum of misinformation there as here. The help forum there has become pretty torpid, but you may find answers to specific questions like this.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'll add to Bob's warning about mounting a heavy lens. I don't think I'd be confident about putting even the, relatively light, Hasselblad 80mm Planar on my Century Graphic's lensboard, although I understand that the Pacemaker is more robustly constructed than the Century. If I were going down that route, I think I'd consider some kind of bracing for the top of the front standard, perhaps a rail running in a slot on the top panel of the main body.<br>

If you do this, it'll be interesting to hear what success you have.</p>

<p>Looks like most of your questions have been answered.. <br>

as far as adapting other lenses to the speed/crown/century, it is pretty straight forward.<br>

If the lens will fit a standard shutter, then you are set. If the lens is in a barrel and wont fit a standard shutter, it will still be adaptable to a speed graphic as long as the aperture functions.<br>

Lenses from mamiya press and polaroids are common. I've also seen adaptations from Konica press, mamiya TLR, Mamiya RB, and kowa 66. I bet some 35mm lenses will cover 6x6, who knows?<br>

With the speed graphic the possibilities are endless. And the rangefinder is adjustable to any lens!</p>

<p>Oh and heres one of my shots with a 47mm sa. And I'll add another vote in for the 80mm f2.8 Xenotar.. an amazing lens, about equal to a 35mm lens on 35mm format imho.</p><div>00SqvQ-118979884.jpg.d8050e9f74140f5803aaf2da0639568e.jpg</div>

<p>I keep a Century set up with the 2.8 Xenotar, and used the Rodenstock Heligon 2.8 for a couple trips in the Sierra a couple seasons back. The Heligon is by far the finer lens. The Xenotar is no dog though, and makes a fine shoot around town lens. It is very popular as the taking lens on the Rolleiflex. But I went back to carrying a 103mm and a 65mm Angulon as my landscape wide (tiny light weight and high quality glass). If I can find one I'll post a Heligon 2.8 image below...<br>

Stephen </p><div>00SqwO-118983584.jpg.dc7d997814a8b12e2624972cfad28164.jpg</div>

<p>And here's the Xenotar 2.8 80mm<br>

Just happened to sail this boat back from Catalina Island yesterday in a gale, and to Hawaii in the Trans Pac race in 2007. Nice ride...and everything you see mounted in this boat was done by yours truly. Sort of a day job... </p>