MC-20 on D750

Miha

Hi,

I have been using my F100, D200 and D300s cameras with the aforementioned wired remote control and timer MC-20. The remote control connects to the 10-pin socket on the camera. It proved very useful for me.

Now however I am using also the D750, which lacks the 10-pin connector. I know I can buy a third party equivalent for the MC-20 or a simple MC-DC2 remote (lacking the long exposure timer). Anyway - I would have to take care for two different remote controls.

The wireless remote I was and still am using with my old cameras has a split cable - there are two connecting cables: the first cable has a 2,5mm jack on one side and a 10 pin male connector on the other side, the second one ends with a MC-DC2 compatible connector. So now, I am using the wireless remote for triggering all the cameras, but I am still lacking the long exposure timer.

My question is, does anyone know the existence of an adapter to connect the MC-20 to the adapter and the adapter to D750? The connecting cable (adapter) should have a female 10-pin socket on one side and a MC-DC2 compatible connector on the other side. The other possibility would be a 10-pin socket on one side and a female 2,5mm socket on the other side. Unfortunately, my web search (Google) didn't yield any useful result. On the other hand - maybe I did not use the appropriate search words.

So - can you please help me?

Regards, Miha.

The 10 pin socket is a Nikon proprietory layout. Finding a line socket in that configuration is an impossible task I fear.

A remote release only connects to 3 pins of the 10 pin socket. Therefore I suggest you cut the cable of the MC-20 about halfway and rejoin it using a standard 3.5 or 2.5mm stereo jack and line-socket. Then you can swap it between appropriate adaptor cables for each camera type.

I've chopped and re-joined the cable on a wireless third-party remote release to make it compatible with more than one camera. It doesn't look too ugly, and who's going to look closely at it but me?

If you want a neater job you could maybe open the MC-20 and fit a stereo chassis socket directly into the cable exit hole. I don't know how easy that would be since I don't have an MC-20.

Cheap 3rd party releases work well enough that I'd consider money spent on an overpriced Nikon release to be money wasted.

But doesn't the D750 have a built-in intervalometer function in its menu?

The tiny, inexpensive wireless Nikon ML-L3 works quite well with the D 750. You do need to set it up in the shooting menu when you are going to use it. As far as I can tell, it will trigger the shutter with any kind of programmed routine. Don't use it as much as I had thought as we're not into selfies, but good fun.

The ML-L3 would be OK if Nikon made all of their cameras compatible with it. Unfortunately the "high end" models don't support it, meaning you have to look for an alternative if you have a mixture of Nikon models.

YongNuo's solution is to provide remote transceivers like their RF603 with adapter cables to make them compatible with a whole raft of cameras. I believe other 3rd party makers have similar products.

Nikon really don't do themselves or their sales any favours by trying to bulldoze their customers into buying needless multiple and overpriced accessories.