MB-D10 question on batteries

david_mccormick

<p>I have a D300 and am considering getting an MB-D10 grip for it. I have read other thread (eg, http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00QaNC). I am interested in getting the 8 frames per second with the 8 AA batteries. What I couldn't figure out from the existing threads is: when you go for the 8 AA batteries, should/can you have the EN-EL3e in the body or should you run just from the AA's?</p>

<p>Thanks, David.</p>

<p>For the D300 (and D700) to work, you must have battery(ies) in either the camera itself or in the attached MB-D10 vertical grip. If you put 8 AA batteries in the MB-D10 to achieve 8 frames/sec, the battery inside the D300 becomes optional.</p>

<p>Thanks for the quick response. The AA option sounds like a nice economical alternative to buying the ELN4 batteries, charger, and adapter for the grip.</p>

<p>Any sense of the difference in battery life of, say, eight 2500 mAH batteries vs. the EN-EL4a battery pack if you are going to shoot 8 fps? The EN-EL4a is rated at 2500 mAH.</p>

<p>I have done both, and all I can tell you is that 8 AA's will last you a long time unless you are in extremely cold conditions. However, AA's are not "smart" batteries, unlike the EN-EL3e and EN-EL4(A) batteries. When the AAs are exhausted, your D300 may or may not be able to detect that and automatically switch over to the (optional) EN-EL3e inside the camera.</p>

<p>The "smart" batteries has a CPU chip inside to inform the camera its charge status.</p>

<p>And you will feel the weight for 8 AAs.</p>

<p>If you don't mind the extra weight of the EN-EL3e battery, I would advise you to have it in the D300. On numerous occations (this can of course be a technical problem with my D300, MB-D10 or batteries) I hvae observed that even if the 8 AA batteries are powered up, the camera suddenly thinks the AA-batteries are exhausted (which they are not) and start using the EN-EL3e battery. My guess is that if the camera battery was not installed, I would not be able to take pictures.</p>

<p><strong>"The AA option sounds like a nice economical alternative to buying the ELN4 batteries, charger, and adapter for the grip." </strong><br>

Not really. You get another EN-EL3e. The grip comes with the adapter, and you already have the charger with the camera body. Thats the most economical solution.<br>

<strong><em></em></strong><br>

<br /><strong><em>"I have observed that even if the 8 AA batteries are powered up, the camera suddenly thinks the AA-batteries are exhausted (which they are not) and start using the EN-EL3e battery. My guess is that if the camera battery was not installed, I would not be able to take pictures. "</em></strong><br>

I have to agree exactly with what Per-Christian says here. I have also found the AA batteries do wierd things as he describes. thats why I ordered a second EN-ELe</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you don't mind the extra weight of the EN-EL3e battery, I would advise you to have it in the D300. On numerous occations (this can of course be a technical problem with my D300, MB-D10 or batteries) I hvae observed that even if the 8 AA batteries are powered up, the camera suddenly thinks the AA-batteries are exhausted (which they are not) and start using the EN-EL3e battery.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Has anyone else experienced the same as Andrew and I?<br>

With 8 AAs?<br>

With EN-EL3 in the grip as well as in the camera?</p>

<p>I have used 8 AA batteries in the MB-D10 to get 8 frames/sec on my D300 many times. I never had any problems.</p>

<p>Again, the difference is that AA are not "smart" batteries. Unlike Li-ion batteries that have a CPU chip inside to report its remaining charge status precisely, the camera has to detect how much charge is left. Additionally, since different battery types have different voltage, make sure you set the AA battery type correctly in Custom Setting D10. But using AAs will definitely not going to be as precise as using smart batteries with the latest technology.</p>

<P>If you have patience, check out this old and long thread on this topic: <a rel="nofollow" href="../nikon-camera-forum/00P4dV">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00P4dV</a></P>

<p>I think we've discussed the virtues and non-virtues of the AA batteries in other posts previously , but I'll repeat as I noticed something new. We've said that with priority set to <strong>BP</strong>, and AA's in the batterypack/grip, it seems to switch over to the EN-EL3e in the body <strong>long before the AA's have exhausted,</strong> but I noticed the other day that if you remove the grip, take out the EN-EL3e, and refit the grip, the AA's suddenly show a full charge and come back to life. Wow !</p>

<p>Andrew, I can say the same thing over and over. Since AA batteries do not have electronics to inform the camera how much charge is left, the camera has to guess based on voltage. If you set the battery type incorrectly or your battery's voltage is incorrect/low, you'll experience the switch over prematurely. That is the limitation because of low-tech batteries.</p>

<p>If that is a problem, simply leave no EN-EL3e inside the D300 so that the camera cannot switch over.</p>

<p>@David, Sorry for hijacking your thread.<br>

@Shun: Thanks for the link. I still don't understand why the 8 AA's suddenly seem dead, but when taking the battery holder out of the grip, and then inserting it again, they seem fresh... I have to make som deeper searches into the material here at photo.net, but if you remember certain threads of superior value, please give me a hint! ;)<br>

@Andrew: (ref post 11:10) Precise my problem also,</p>

<p>And as I mentioned in the thread from 2008, I use NiMH rechargeable AAs, 2900mAh, but of course there are many other choices. There are a lot of different types of AA batteries from many brands with different battery technologies and chemicals. If one doesn't work for you, there are other options to experiment around with.</p>

<p>Andrew, you are right, but for many the whole reason for attaching a grip is to get 8fps. Using EN-EL3e's will only give 5 or 6fps as it only provides 7.4volts.<br>

I had a problem with the AA's I used in the grip for my D80 where they suddenly went from fully charged to empty. It turned out that my charger was faulty and wasn't charging all the batteries. After replacing it a year and a half ago everything worked fine. I now use the same charger to charge the 2800mAh AA's I use in my MB-D10 and have never had any trouble.</p>

<p>I use Eneloop batteries in my MB-D10 and initially got more than 1000 pictures in one charge and then suddenly I started to get less than 200 pictures. After some investigation I found out one of the battery was faulty and did not charge to max. I don't have extra battery to confirm if this is the problem. Soon I'll be getting more from ebay and then I'll know. </p>

<p><strong><em>"Using EN-EL3e's will only give 5 or 6fps as it only provides 7.4volts."</em></strong><br />Oh bugger ! Hamish I didn't realise that ! Sh#t Sh#t Sh#t ! Now I get it. After your statement I frantically browsed through the manual and you are right. I thought it was the same frame rate for all the battery combinations. Thanks for enlightening me. The manual confirms AA's for the 8fpm, or the EN-EL3e for 5fpm (but much longer life, more exposures). Its the EN-EL4a recharchable thats needed for the high frame rate. Now I have a maybe not-so-wanted EN-EL3e on its way from China.<br />Two questions come to mind from the above enlightenment: Does the same apply to rechargable AA's as the normal AA's ? (as they are 9.6 v) And, whats the deal with these EN-EL4a batteries, price and are there compatibles of these ?</p>

<p>Yes, the 9.6v provided by rechargable AA's is enough to give 8fps.<br>

You can also use the much more expensive EN-EL4a, but in order to do so you will also need to purchase a BL-3 chamber cover and an MH-21 battery charger. The total sum for battery, chamber cover and charger is close to $ 300.</p>

<p>Thanks Hamish. Actually since the last post I did some browsing and found the whole trio packet for about $90, compatible, but seems reasonable. Thats what i should have got instaed of the other EN-EL3a. Oh well, we live and learn. Goes to show you how you really really should do your homework beforehand.</p>

<p>Yes the E4 option with the tray is very expensive. You could buy a ton of AA batteries for that. I don't use 8fps that much so AA will work just fine for the few sporting or action events where it would be useful. I find 5fps to be fast enough for most day to day shooting.</p>

• 6 months later...