May 18-July 19 Instant rebates

joe_nash1

It would be interesting to know where this originally came from. I've seen it pop up on a few forums, but none of them cite an original source. The usual source for such leaks are vendors who put the .pdf file on their website before they are supposed to.

Canon don't "pre-announce" rebate programs for obvious reasons, so this must be a leak from some website (unless it's a pretty good Photoshop job!).

I'm 50/50 on this USA rebate offer.

Could be a photoshop'd fake ad however the Canon rep at demodays last friday told me to wait to buy my 5D till 3rd to 4th week of this month. So maybe its real then. I prefer cash off instantly. Canada deal on 300mm 2.8 IS L would drop its price back to where it stood in April 2008: (+$300). And just so you know I actually have all the April 2008 USA dollar prices before the inflated yen adjustments hit. Off the top of my head 96% off all eos lenses went up in cost. Biggest gainer:

600mm f4 IS L went from $7200 to $7600.

Nominal increase item: 1.4x $279 to $290.

No increase items: 70-200mm 2.8 IS L,

24-105mm f4 IS L

I'm bummed Canon isn't offering deals on 300mm f4 IS L or 400mm 5.6L. I should have got these two a couple years ago when Canon USA last offer incentives on them pair. But back then I was waiting around for always delayed and yet continually promised "roadmapped" lenses from pentax. Now they got lens product lines filling and this year I'm buying into EOS instead.

I picked up the other two Eos lenses I wanted during February's cash off USA deals, that are included again in this offer. So I'll concentrate on getting 5D or two. I don't believe the popular myth 1.6X dslr make supertelephotos out of telephotos. If I did then a 40D at $200 off would be a nice addition to 5D.

In the meantime I have noticed KEH raise their 5D to $2,269 and B&H raised to $2,199 and typically B&H has no stock of body only 5D kits. It'll be a bummer if suddenly everyone has 5D back up to $2,499. We'll see in just 7 more days if this rebate ad is a real deal.

Anyways. I hope some kinda of cash off eos deal happens by end of this month, preferrably on items just like canada has been discounting. I'd really like a better price on 300mm f4 IS or 400mm 5.6L

Lindy

What I think is most interesting is the $200 rebate on the 40D. At $950 after rebate, it's a considerable 27% discount on the original selling price of the camera, only nine months after its introduction. Even the Sony A700 which has been less than a barn-burner, has only dropped $200 from its original $1400 street price (aside from fire-sale prices at some Best Buys recently to close out inventory).

Since the only other body to have a discount applied is the soon-to-be-discontinued 5D, it makes one wonder if Canon intends to update the 40D....

40D in the megapixel race wars is only 10mp in a 12mp to 14mp aps-c world. Having a couple fine 6mp dslrs I know a bit bigger isn't necessarily better but for many the mp number size is key. The proshop confirmed the rebates are golden. So put me in the 100% valid column as its not a photoshop'd creation.

By the way, I asked canon rep at demodays if 5D replacement launch price and I got a flat "3K"response, if so, then about then $1,100 more than these 5D will sell for in 5 days. You wanna 5D then pay $1,900 or get a 5D with 40D features in full frame for 3 grand by Christmas 08.

Also as an added bonus:

both 5D and 40D owners who register at canon usa by August 31st 2008 get $100 off repair, 3 day turn around repairs, and 24/7 toll free support.

There's really no reason not to buy a 5D for full frame or 40D for crop frame with these incentives coupled with bonus repair deal.

Lindy

I forgot about the 20% off parts and repair bonus too:

Product Registration

EOS 5D

As a special service to our valued EOS 5D customers, if you register between now and August 31, 2008 you will be entitled to the following complimentary benefits*:

$100.00 Voucher for Repair Service

Priority Telephone Support

Exclusive Email Support Address

3 Day Turnaround Time for Repairs, and a 20% Discount on Service and Parts

Simply complete this form and you will receive your benefits packet in approximately 4 - 6 weeks.

*Offer valid in the U.S. only.

The last time Canon replaced a non-beginner model after only a year was when they introduced the 10D after the D60. I wonder if we're going to see a revamping of the 40D soon.

Someone I know who does product testing for Nikon says his Nikon contacts (who may simply be speculating) do expect a 40D update by year end with support for UDMA cards, "software tweaks" and maybe a new processor.