maxwell screen

Discussion in 'Large Format' started by howard b. schwartz, Nov 28, 2004.

1. does anyone know where to order the maxwell bright screen? thanks.

2. you can call bill maxwell at 404-244-0095

3. Try Bill at 404/244-0095

4. Or you can just call him at 404-244-0095

5. i found the best way to reach bill is to call him at 404-244-0095

6. So Howard, I guess that was: "bill maxwell on 404-244-0095"...

7. You don't just order from Bill Maxwell. Prepare to spend a long time on the phone with him. That's a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time! (PS, his screens are the best.)

8. Bill Mitchell,

LOL! You are right on both accounts! The long discussion is worth it--his screens really are fantastic.

9. Just a couple of suggestions based upon my experience in ordering a screen for my Toyo
    vx125b. Turns out there is a fair bit of rocket science to viewing screens, and since this
    happened a couple of years back, the details are fuzzy (pun intended). But on this one
    view camera, there's something non-standard about the way the Toyo screen is designed
    and positioned in the camera. The factory screen accommodates this, but 3rd party
    screens don't. As a result Bill's screen didn't seat at the exact film plane as common sense
    and physics would normally dictate. It may have had something to do with Toyo putting
    the fresnel circles in front of the ground glass instead of behind it, or something along
    those lines. Since he had not built a screen specifically for that model before, he assumed
    (quite reasonably) that it was designed like the other 99.99% of the view cameras out
    there. It wasn't. He offered to make good on it, so I have no complaints there.
    Unfortunately, I got busy with non-LF projects and never got back to him. I'm still using
    the factory screen for the rare LF shots.

My only point is this: be sure to discuss your specific camera with him and ask if he's
    made screens for your specific model. If not, you might want to send the camera in to
    install the screen and verify the position. (In fact, screens that are highly optimized for
    wide angle lenses have to be installed by him.) Or build in some time for returning the
    screen and having it redone. I was about to leave on a trip and needed mine right away.

Also, I wasn't aware that I was going to get two pieces of glass, compared to Toyo's one: a
    ground/fresnel piece and a cover sheet. Not a deal breaker, but I had to get longer screws
    machined at a local camera repair shop to hold the thicker assembly.

Also, Bill cuts corners. Not in quality, but literally he cut the corners of the screen off.
    Some people like that for checking vignetting at really small apertures, and I guess to let
    the bellows breathe. I wasn't expecting it was surprised. I prefer to have my corners in
    place. To each his own, but it's another detail to discuss with him.

Bill's very knowledgeable and you'll hang up having received a good tutorial on viewing
    screens. Make sure you have a good long distance pricing plan. He's the ultimate in one-
    on-one customer service.

10. Hi everyone,
    I just wanted to share my experience on Maxwell screens.
    I recently bought a 3.5F Planar and the viewfinder was rather dim. So, after investigating a bit I decided to go for the Bill Maxwell screens. I ended up buying two, one for the above-mentioned camera, and the other for a 3.5 Automat MX model.
    Both models are 'Hi-Lux Brilliant Matte', and I could not be happier. Such amazing screens, they're bright as hell. Moreover, before buying them I have contacted Bill, who explained me at length the benefits of each individual model.
    I cannot express enough my gratitude for such incredible glasses. Top notch!
    Matteo
    www.flickr.com/matteoprezioso
    00Vgcw-217461584.jpg