maxwell screen

howard b. schwartz

Just a couple of suggestions based upon my experience in ordering a screen for my Toyo

vx125b. Turns out there is a fair bit of rocket science to viewing screens, and since this

happened a couple of years back, the details are fuzzy (pun intended). But on this one

view camera, there's something non-standard about the way the Toyo screen is designed

and positioned in the camera. The factory screen accommodates this, but 3rd party

screens don't. As a result Bill's screen didn't seat at the exact film plane as common sense

and physics would normally dictate. It may have had something to do with Toyo putting

the fresnel circles in front of the ground glass instead of behind it, or something along

those lines. Since he had not built a screen specifically for that model before, he assumed

(quite reasonably) that it was designed like the other 99.99% of the view cameras out

there. It wasn't. He offered to make good on it, so I have no complaints there.

Unfortunately, I got busy with non-LF projects and never got back to him. I'm still using

the factory screen for the rare LF shots.

My only point is this: be sure to discuss your specific camera with him and ask if he's

made screens for your specific model. If not, you might want to send the camera in to

install the screen and verify the position. (In fact, screens that are highly optimized for

wide angle lenses have to be installed by him.) Or build in some time for returning the

screen and having it redone. I was about to leave on a trip and needed mine right away.

Also, I wasn't aware that I was going to get two pieces of glass, compared to Toyo's one: a

ground/fresnel piece and a cover sheet. Not a deal breaker, but I had to get longer screws

machined at a local camera repair shop to hold the thicker assembly.

Also, Bill cuts corners. Not in quality, but literally he cut the corners of the screen off.

Some people like that for checking vignetting at really small apertures, and I guess to let

the bellows breathe. I wasn't expecting it was surprised. I prefer to have my corners in

place. To each his own, but it's another detail to discuss with him.

Bill's very knowledgeable and you'll hang up having received a good tutorial on viewing

screens. Make sure you have a good long distance pricing plan. He's the ultimate in one-

on-one customer service.

• 5 years later...

<p>Hi everyone,<br>

I just wanted to share my experience on Maxwell screens.<br>

I recently bought a 3.5F Planar and the viewfinder was rather dim. So, after investigating a bit I decided to go for the Bill Maxwell screens. I ended up buying two, one for the above-mentioned camera, and the other for a 3.5 Automat MX model.<br>

Both models are 'Hi-Lux Brilliant Matte', and I could not be happier. Such amazing screens, they're bright as hell. Moreover, before buying them I have contacted Bill, who explained me at length the benefits of each individual model.<br>

I cannot express enough my gratitude for such incredible glasses. Top notch!<br>

Matteo<br /> www.flickr.com/matteoprezioso</p><div>00Vgcw-217461584.jpg.84ca3d1ea97ae85e5c19bba8fba2eb98.jpg</div>