maxwell screen in Rolleiflex 2,8F - which side up?

Discussion in 'Medium Format' started by harry_zet, Jun 6, 2003.

1. i got a new maxwell screen for my rolleiflex 2,8f - which side is
    up: fresnel side or glassy side when its mounted and i look
    from the top? which side has to face the mirror? thanks in
    advance

2. Sorry Harry I can't answer your question from actual knowledge but I would guess the Fresnel side is down otherwise it would collect dust and be impossible to clean. Anyway what is a Maxwell Screen ?

3. No, the fresnel side up.

4. Uhm... Maxwell screen, Acute-Matte, Beattie screens as well as on my 4x5 Wista, are not a Fresnel screen per se. The matte side allways faces the lens. Now! I have a Rolleigrid for my 2.8D as well as two Fresnels that I bought for my Sinnar and Deardorff. In this situations, the Fresnel screen goes above the ground glass facing you otherwise the focusing will be out of wack.

5. In the instruction sheet supplied by Bill, the matte side faces up and the fresnel side faces down. That's from Bill himself!

6. Page 2- Intructions for Maxwell HI-LUX focusing screen reads: " NOTE: THE MATTE SIDE OF THE SCREEN SHOULD NOW BE FACING THE MIRROR INSIDE THE CAMERA. IF NOT, THE FOCUS WILL BE OFF AND THE ILLUMINATION AT THE EDGES OF THE SCREEN WILL BE POOR".

7. If you got the screen from Maxwell Precision Optics, it should have come with explicit instructions. In any event, you can call him and ask him.

I have a Maxwell screen for my 4 x 5 camera. It came in two parts, the screen itself and a cover glass. If I remember correctly the fresnel part faces away from the mirror. But maybe the arrangement for the Rollei screen is different.

8. I put a Maxwell screen on my Rollei 3.5F and had the same disorientation about which way was up. Here is what Bill Maxwell responded:
    If your camera was focusing correctly with the original factory screen then it should focus correctly with the new screen , provided that it is installed with the correct (fresnel) side up. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Bill Maxwell

9. thanks to all who responded - i have the imaxwell mounting
    instructions forgotten in the office far away, but was eager to try
    the screen now and to avoid any scratches which might result
    from installing and deinstalling. i put it in fresnel side up and it
    focuses okay - the brightness is unbelievable

10. thanks to all who responded - i have the maxwell mounting
    instructions forgotten in the office far away, but was eager to try
    the screen now and to avoid any scratches which might result
    from installing and deinstalling. i put it in - fresnel side up - and it
    focuses okay - the brightness is unbelievable