Maxwell Bright Screens

patrick_stack

<p>OK, my fault. Oh, the shame. I have a new Maxwell screen in my 'Flex E-2, while cleaning the camera I accidently (foolishly?) let the strap brush against the screen. Now there are several light brush marks on the screens surface. Still very serviceable, BUT, it is disappointing to have to see the marked surface.</p>

<p>I have an older Rollei, a primo technician had polished and restored the original screen surface to like new condition. No idea what polish and implements were used, but that one looks great.</p>

<p>Does anyone have experience with polishing marks out of these screens, or know if it can even be done? I'll call Bill Maxwell in the AM, but would appreciate it if anyone can respond with a helpful answer. Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Patrick </p>

<p>D Purdy -</p>

<p>You're correct, it was not just the material of the strap. I use the Op Tech strap, with the sides unsnapped from the neck piece the plastic connectors remain attached to the ends. I should have caught it, that leaves enough length for the fasteners to reach the screen top. These are not severe, like actual gouges, but it still left visible brush marks behind. Should have left the prism or folding top in place.</p>

<p>Hopefully if returned to Bill it could be polished to restore finish, or maybe he could talk me through it with polish recommendation. Thanks for the quick response. Regards.</p>

<p>Patrick</p>

<p>I spoke this morning with Bill Maxwell, really nothing to be done to restore screen finish. Turns out the fresnel texture is on TOP of the screen, I had no idea of that, I imagined it was on the bottom. The top surface looks to the eye as a highly polished glossy finish, but indeed what does the job is there on top and unfortunately can be damaged without going to a lot of effort. But normal care and caution will keep it in good condition, they're not all that delicate if you pay attention, (unlike me.)</p>

<p>New screen is on the way, now I'm off to Ace Hardware for an economy size carton of butt kicking material. </p>

<p>I love my maxwell screens...on both my Rolleiflex and my 4X5's. But I've often wondered, in the case of the Rollei (where the screen's top surface seems a bit vulnerable) if there could be made a thin glass protective plate to go over the top of the Maxwell screen...just like in my 4X5's. Then again, there is practically no space available for this...and it may prove too difficult to customize a fix.</p>

<p>I used a soft brush to dislocate the dust on my Maxweel screen (on a Rollei) and a few hairs of the brush were caught between the screen and the metal surround. So I tried to pluck the hairs out with my fingers and where my nails touched the screen there is a small blemish on the screen now. This screen is very soft but optically very useful.</p>

<p>BE CAREFUL what you try to do here ... And DO NOT let the nozzle of a compressed air can touch this screen either!</p>

<p>I live and I learn and in 20 years, maybe, when the Rollei needs its next CLA, I will spring for a new screen ... if I still live.</p>

<p>Good input all of you. I have several Maxwells, from 4X5 to Rollei's, 500 CM and a few 35mm SLR's. Love them all, my tired old eyes need lot's of help and they provide just that. I know I'm overly fussy, but scrapes and bumps on anything just set my hair on fire.</p>

<p>Bill M has a new screen on the way, but since the old one had damage anyway and he suggested SOME degree of correction may be possible, here's what I did. Using new Q-tips I started lightly pressing and rubbing them on the surface, following the fresnel rings in their circular pattern. I couldn't believe it, the tips actually follow the rings perfectly, you can feel it as you progress. Indeed the rings don't seem to be concentric, rather they seem like the surface of an old vinyl record, grooves spiraling inward.</p>

<p>I kept replacing the tips every few seconds, keeping the tip surface as flat, (or parallel,) to the screens surface as possible. Within three or four minutes the entire surface was restored to excellent condition. The bruises still are visible to the eye when looking at it directly, although certainly with MUCH improvement, but through the prism or folding top magnifier, absolutely nothing is seen.</p>

<p>The ridge tops of the fresnel surface are so fine, they must be capable of being restored/realigned somewhat by just gentle pressure from the Q-tip texture. When I first tried to treat them by gently wiping the tip surface in a random pattern, all I did was leave fine smear marks on the screen, likely from laying the super fine ridge tops over. Following the rings does the trick.</p>

<p>Probably more than anyone wants to know about my screw up and fix, but there it is, hope it is useful to someone. I'll keep this one as a spare, just in case. You never know, with me. Cheers.</p>

<p>Patrick </p>