Maxine ... which version?

<p>Ray, to me, this is part of the creative process and you need to decide for yourself. I think both work. I like more space of the landscape version, but Bob likes the portrait version. So obviously it comes down to personal taste, and that's part of your vision of what you want for your images.</p>

<p>The vertical seems a bit too tight. I'd prefer the horizontal, with a slight modification. Crop the right edge just to meet the bird's shoulder. This will strengthen the diagonal line across the upper right to lower left, intersecting the bird's crest and beak (I'm a sucker for diagonals). The rounded back/shoulder area provides a nice counterpoint.</p>

<p>Also, try to tease out just a tiny bit more color and catchlight in the eye. It may be fine in the hi-rez version and print, but it's lost in JPEG compression.</p>

<p>The rest is fine. Very handsome photo.</p>

<p>Much better, definitely version 2a. The dynamic between the diagonal and gentle curve is very appealing now. Will make a lovely gift.</p>

<p>(BTW, I just gave a photo to a friend this morning. I should do that more often, it was fun fussing over the matting and framing last night.)</p>

<p>Unfortunately, Maxine is not mine. She belongs to my cousin. Maxine was actually "Max" for twenty years 'til he (she) decided to lay an egg. Even had the vet fooled. She is 24 years old. I took several shots when visiting last Saturday. She is quite the ham. Thanks for all the comments ... Ray.</p>