Max RAW needed for CS4 and NX2 on iMac

<p>I use a 5 year-old Mac G5 with a 1.6ghz processor and 2gb Ram at the moment but finding it all a bit too slow (bloody painfully slow, actually) for RAW conversions from My D700 (NX2 and Lightroom then CS4) and multiple layer files. I was wondering what the minimum amount of RAM I would need if I were to buy a new iMac, as I believe that 4Gb is the maximum possible on this current machine, and wondered if this was enough - thinking about future software improvements and larger RAW files.<br>

Anyone using less than 4Gb on a newish Mac and still happy? Any thoughts gratefully received.<br>

Thanks<br>

David</p>

<p><em>Anyone using less than 4Gb on a newish Mac and still happy?</em></p>

<p>I'm sure there is and they'll say they are. But 4 gig is pretty lame by todays standards. Then again, CS4 is 32-bit on a Mac and wont use much above 3.2 gig. The current iMac dual core processor is also slow compared to a quad. Photoshop and LR will multi-thread when possible. iMac is long over due for a refresh in the hardware dept soon, so I'd wait. Hopefully iMac's get at least a quad core soon. But these are old as well as the world has moved on to Intel's new i7 (8 core) cpu.</p>

<p>The biggest problem you have is not only a RAM one, but having a old computer architecture like the G5 who doestn take to is maximum the new CS4 and Ligthroom (as for NX it always been slow on a mac platform).</p>

<p>In todays world, i think 4gig is a minimum, or at least a decent amount that computer user should have if doing any kind of image editing. As for when or if you should get a new computer..its always the moment to get one, and as soon as you do so, a new one just pop out ; )</p>

<p><em>G, heard anyone that got a psion computer and live happy with it</em></p>

<p>No, I don't know anyone that bought one. Or built thier own 'Hackingtosh'. I just read the forums with interest. I was going to build an Octa-core Hackingtoash up a year ago. Then I hear CS4 is 32 bit for Mac and canceled my plans. It'll have to wait until CS6 I guess. But then it'll be a dual i7 = 16 core :)</p>

<p>You can build today's iMac from Newegg for $600 if you have already have a case and power supply. Another $700 buys a great 24" NEC monitor. The insanely Mac forums have all the walk throughs on installing your OSX and doing what it takes. Many that own Tiger on older hardware are building great machines and using thier OS, and saying screw it to the 'Mac Tax'.</p>

<p><em>i remember old power computing problem (first and only approved mac clone) when you cant update your OS because the software didtn recognize the OS type or computer processor?!</em></p>

<p>Not sure, but I read that people share thier OSX intall disks as there is no key for it. They update fine.</p>

<p>For the record, PS will use something like 3.2GB itself and up to 8GB for scratch. My "sweet" spots were 2GB, 4GB, & 6GB (I am currently at 7GB). Ny that I mean I saw noticeably improvement at those levels. OS X will also manage virtually anything you throw at it. By having PS open you are running two apps: the OS and PS. Throw in NX2 and you now have a third app. I imagine NX2 is 32-bit so at best it might see 4GB of Ram but probably more like 2GB. In any event, the more Ram you have the more smoothly everything will run. However, I am waiting for the new Mac Pros and OS 10.6 before I pull the trigger on a new computer. BTW, a 2GB RAM upgrade from Crucial is only $90. ANd finally, I have a Dual 1.8 with 3GB of Ram and I am happy with it. It's no doubt slower than my main workstation, but nothing I can't live with.</p>