Maternity Pictures

Hello. I am interested in taking some photographs of my wife who is pregnant

with our first child throughout her pregnancy. I am fairly new to photography

and rely on the priority and appature settings on my D70s more than I should.

I also dont have a lot of experience taking photos with natural light in

doors. I would love any and all suggestions. Thanks so much

I'm going to disagree with Bruce a little and say the subject is not so tough, as long as it's your wife. Tough to show strangers in their best light when they're 20-80 lbs. over their normal weight, but shouldn't be so much for you.

And nothing wrong with using Aperture Priority. I would imagine this is what almost all photographers use when they are not hand metering the light.

If your going to use natural light from a window, make sure it is diffuse, i.e. not bright, direct sunlight streaming through the window. Pick a time of day when the sun is on the other side of your home.

Gary: Thanks for your response. What makes the subject difficult is avoiding the ordinary. It has nothing to do with whose wife it is. I have been photographing nude pregnant women for almost 20 years off and on. The last shoot was several weeks ago with an 11x14 camera. The results were certainly good, but no better than that. So then I tried the same model again the following week with a very thin woman of different skin color. The pictures were much more interesting. It is hard to get an original photograph of a solo nude pregnant woman. Perhaps it is because I insist on using ultra large format with tungsten lighting. Having used flash commercially for years I no longer use it now that I am retired, because I find the light ugly and boring.(Please don't write and tell me how wonderful flash is. I have been through this argument before and am not interested in repeating it.) The exposure runs from 2 to 8 seconds. This requires that the model not be standing or she will often ruin the negative by moving. When she returns with the baby I will have a choice between LF with a flash, or a Hasselblad with tungsten. Have not yet decided which way to go, will probably do both. I know, use my Leica. But It just won't give me what I want. I probably should have explained this when I made the comment. Shooting with a digital is a very different thing, and easier because of the previews, fast exposures possible and anti shake feature. Sorry if I have been long winded but the model did not show up today and I have time to talk. The best to you .--Bruce

Mike, rather than ask for it to be explained in words, I would search for images in this vein and study them well. The reason is, it's one thing to explain it, another to see it in use. Find the lighting you like, then - if you need help figuring out the scheme - ask. Would be easier to grasp, I think, and certainly easier - for me - to explain how once I see what needs explaining.

Good luck with these. Relax, shoot plenty, explore. You'll get what yer after.

C.

Hi Mike,

I am not a professional, but I do shoot photos for family and friends. If you would like to see an amateur's version of maternity pics ( very basic, shot at home) then you might find something here you like or something to give you ideas.

http://picasaweb.google.com/john.jwphoto/MaternityPhotos

This lady is my wife's coworker. I shot them on film. The indoor shots were using a single flash fired into an umbrella and a reflector for fill. Very easy. The couple was extremly happy with them and bought lots of enlargements.

Good luck. My advice is to capture the beauty of life, not to worry about making a pregnant lady look pretty. They already are. Just capture it with soft light.

hi mike. i don't have any exp. w/ pregnancy photos. but i use window light alot with the kids/friends. do you have big windows? that always helps. walk around the house and open up them blinds ALL the way. and see what you see. make sure to get a patch of light on the dark side of the face. can you get some fluffy material from walmart? for her to lay on.<div>00LOoX-36843184.jpg.a440892095e2a80175028e5bb2851b4b.jpg</div>