Maternity Photography

andrea_robinson

Those are both great. Two different styles, both nice. So, using studio lighting what is your shuter speed and f/stop? For my studio lighting (I'm new) I have two photogenic 1250dr lights, and one large softbox and one 42" or 48" halo. I don't have any barndoors to light a background, no scrims and no reflectors. What would your suggestions be? The first photo, the one with natural lighting, what is she wrapped with?

Thanks. ~ Andrea

My sync speed is 125 so that is my ss. For two people I usually shoot at about 5.6 to 8.0 I prefer a shallow DOF but need to make sure they are in focus.

As far as lighting the backround. I only shoot with one light all of the time...One AB800 with a large softbos and a 42" relector. So that back light image. I used white paper. she stood about 4 feet in front of the paper and I placed my light to the left of her pointing at the paper. I then placed my reflector infront and to the right of her. I metered for the background then backed it off just a bit to make sure I had detail in her. I hope that helps. I do have more images on my site and just uploaded a few more here so it you are still looking for more poses there might be a few more for you. www.carlamphotography.com

Hi all :)

I just looked at all your Maternity shots-they are beautiful!

I just shot my Sisters Maternity pictures-It was my first time shooting maternity-And I only had Natural lighting to work with-I didnt put any of the bare belly shots on my site since its my sister-but feel free to see the ones I posted :)

I hope you like them :)

Now I have to get ready for newborn shots!!!!! Yeah!!!! :)

Have a great weekend :)

Janice

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andrea! So excited you'll be doing a maternity shoot! I still haven't figured out how to post to this site, so you can go to my website (www.maureenroyphotography.com) to get some ideas as well. I, too, love, Heather Rivlin's work (I think she's in Toronto), as well as Jennifer Loomis (Seattle, San Fran, NYC www.jenniferloomis.com). I usually use one main light with either a medium (3x4 foot) softbox, or sometimes my huge (4x6 foot) softbox, usually placed at about a 45 degree angle to the client. This gives a nice soft side light and gives wonderful highlights on the tummy.

If you have the spouse/partner there and they're wearing their wedding rings, make sure you get both sets of hands wrapped around the tummy and make sure you get the rings. This has been a BIG seller for my clients. If they have other children and they participate, all the family's hands on the tummy also look great. If you do this, though, make sure you have them standing at about a 45 degree angle so you get interesting shapes and shadows. Otherwise a very round belly looks "flat" in the photo.

I use fabrics that I just get at the fabric store...lots of remnants (great and CHEAP!). I also have a set of four very sheer curtains that are already serged (so no fraying) and that I drape around the client as well.

I tend to favor either tight-fitting clothing or a loose white shirt for the photos. They are classic, don't "date" the photo, and give a nice elegant line. I also like to blow out the background on the client to get a really cool silouette (I'm still working on this technique both on location and in-studio but I'm getting closer!).

The big thing that I've come to realize over the past year is JUST KEEP SHOOTING. Definitely help with posing, but look for those moments in-between...that's when I've gotten the best shots.

Hope this helps. There are tons of maternity photographers out there now (yay!), so just google "maternity photography" and you should be able to get some good ideas. I do a search routinely once a week just to get ideas on posing etc.

Take care and good luck! I'd love to see your results!

Maureen

www.maureenroyphotography.com<div>00KCOK-35305684.jpg.8ddb081513af5946c6e357d534db781f.jpg</div>

Ugh--how DO you upload more than one??? Anyway--this isn't my best shot of a family's hands, but it at least gives you the idea. This is natural light by the way, diffused with those sheet curtains that I stuck in front of this big ugly sliding glass door with gaffer's tape!<div>00KCOf-35305884.jpg.0f2ed75baa4bc71c5b0501d52607dfc7.jpg</div>

• 7 months later...

This seems like a silly question, but I am new to photography. We you are shooting, do you have an additional flash mounted on your camera?

Do you use the one build in (I have a digital rebel) or none at all?

I currently have two softboxes and two umbrellas!

Thanks!