Material for Making a Scrim

dave_zzz

On another post I made, I got a great suggestion for using a large

scrim on a particular shoot (thanks Brooks). <p>

It seems like it would be easy to just make a scrim out of commonly

available materials. The only concern I can think of would be color

cast issues. Has anybody made a scrim or have recommendations for

what material to use to make a large one?

<p>

Thanks.

Thanks again Brooks. Great info in that Lighting Themes thread.<p>

My shoot is this weekend, so I'm thinking just a white bedsheet or something similar that I can find easily and put together a couple of these quick. Should be okay, eh? I'm shooting digitally so I have flexibility with the white balance.

Thanks Denis,<p>

That looks great. A bedsheet or something would be cheaper though I think. Might even have one around the house. Looks like $40 is for the fabric, the frame for that is $113. I'm guessing could probably throw together some PVC and velcro or something like that for about $25 bucks or so.<p>

But I agree that B&H is the tops in convenience.

"...I'm guessing could probably throw together some PVC and velcro or something like that for about $25 bucks or so..."

Yeah, that's just what I was thinking, but no need for velcro. Since the fabric is already hemmed to accept a tube, you probably just need one 7 foot pvc pipe on top and a shorter one on the bottom as a weight. Drill two thru holes near the ends of the long pipe and hang it between two stands (like you would a roll of seamless).

The pvc might droop some, so you could use a length of lightweight metal EMT conduit instead.

If you do end up using a bedsheet, just don't let it get too close to your modeling lights ;-)

Regards,

Dave,

The B&H fabric for $40 will be hemmed and have elastic straps at the corner for easy fitment to the frame.

The drawback to using a bedsheet, aside from a color warming effect, is that you'll lose at least a stop or more compared to commercially available scrim material.

Make the frame out of 1" schedule 40 PVS pipe and it will be very sturdy and won't sag.