Marriage Proposal while shooting in France

george_smith17

<p>Hi Lads and Ladies<br /> I am about to head to France with my lady friend. I wish to do the big marriage proposal there and am trying to think of a creative way of doing it. <br /> So far, I am leaning towards planning a picnic or similar in a beautiful location (suggestions welcome!). As we both love photography, we will start shooting some pics of each other, and some self timed pics off a tripod. If the location is right, and the mood is too, I'll go set up yet another shot of the two of us with the beautiful ____________ behind us, but instead of doing a blue-steel pose, or crazy tourist shot, I'll get down on one knee and present her with a ring. <br /> Think it will work? Think it will fail? <br /> Any suggestions of locations, ideas etc would be oh sooo welcome! Please! <br /> (Suggestions to sell the ring for a new L lens, sell the girlfriend for a new 1D or shack up with a local after a couple bottles of wine will be politely ignored) <br /> Ps: We will also be in London, so those locations are welcome too. I have never been to Europe so I'm relying completely on google here.</p>

<p>Well, don't post anything on the Internet using your own name, or it might not be a surprise.<br>

My inclination would be to stow a 'will you marry me' frame in the memory card and let her chimp it but my ex-wife said I wasn't romantic anyway. <br>

There's always the top of the Eiffel Tower. Proposing in England seems like second-place.</p>

<p>It might be corny, but I think the park in front of the Eiffle tower I think it is called "Parc du Champs de Mars" would be a wonderful place to do both, especially in the evening with the Tower in its evening glory.</p>

<p>If you've got a 7D or 5D II or the like, I would shoot it in HD video. Pretend like you're setting the self timer, but just start shooting HD video of the whole thing. If you could somehow wear a mic and record the audio too, that would be even better. </p>

<p>This would be tricky, but really neat. First it takes a little money (but worth it). Get a reservation on one of the Parisian Bateaux-Mouches (river boats on the Seine) for a dinner cruise...they have prepackaged deals you can get thru your local hotel concergiere...the evening cruises cruises include dinner, champaigne, violin players, etc. plus a wonderful cruise of the spots one wants to see in Paris, all lit up with colored lights. So, once you have it set up, go down to the docks to photograph, propose, and jump aboard a romantic cruise ship for the evening! Unless your friend hates water and boats, she will be wow-ed. Best of luck in whatever you decide.</p>

<p>Having been to Paris several times, both ideas sound great. Here's mine. Do both! There is nothing more romantic than the Eiffel tower lit up at night. Bateaux-Mouches is just one company that does Seine River cruises. There are others that leave very close to the Eiffel Tower. So propose in the park at the base of the Tower or from the top of the Tower, then hop on one of the bateaux (boats) that leaves near the Tower. Be prepared for $100-$150 per person for the cruise and dinner. But money well spent for a once in a lifetime experience.</p>

<p>Guys, these suggestions are amazing! Thank you so much! As for the camera, I'm in a tight spot. I have a 7D, and a newly acquired PEN (E-P1) which can shoot 720p video. As we will be staying in hostels in France, and intend on packing light, I'll probably only have the PEN to work with. The problem with the pen, is the lack of flash. What time does it get dark enough to need a flash in July? On that note, what time do the lights switch on on the Eiffel tower?<br>

The river cruises seem pricey, but totally worth it since I only intend on doing this process once in my life. <br>

My initial intention was to stay away from the Eiffel tower as its not the most original idea, but it does seem magical! </p>

<p>The lights on the Eiffel Tower come on at "dusk" which should be around 9:00 in July. The light "show" when the tower sparkles is the first 10 minutes of every hour, on the hour. You might want to wait and make that your special moment. It's quite spectacular when you see it for the first time.<br>

Do some googling and check out the many options for a cruise. If you wait for the first light show at the tower, (assuming 9:00 p.m.), it may be too late to catch a dinner cruise. In that case, you might want to have an early dinner, then do the tower thing, then hop on a cocktail cruise.<br>

At dusk there should still be enough ambient light for a decent photo without a flash. However once the tower starts flashing, your camera is going to meter for those lights which will be behind you. Not sure what kind of video you will get without a video light. If you had an external flash on the camera's hot shoe, you could at least get a good still photo using the flash and a remote trigger on the camera. For about $50, it was the best investment I made for my last trip. No running back to the tripod to reset the timer. Just click away as many frames as you want without having to get up off your knee (assuming you are going down on one knee...)</p>

<p>The most Romantic spot in Paris might be the Pont des Arts at sunset, with Notre-Dame and the Ile de la Cite as a backdrop.<br>

And it's free.<br>

Outside of Paris, any one of the Chateux of the Loire valley (Chambord, Chenonceaux, etc..) or the Mont-St-Michel in Normandy (magical when the lights come on in the evening).<br>

Good luck!</p>

<p>I think you would be best served to forget all about the photography, and just enjoy the moment. </p>

<p>As Billy Joel crooned, leave a tender moment alone. A marriage proposal should be one of the most romantic gestures you ever make. Fussing around with exposure and focus and remote shutters just seems to me to be a mood killer. If you propose in a very public place, have business cards with your e-mail address on them at the ready. Most likely, more than one person will catch the moment on film or video. Ask those who congratulate you and who have a camera to send you a photograph or video if they got one. It may not be set up to your preconceived notions, but you might get something better than you ever expected, too!</p>

<p>This is your moment to savor and enjoy, but not to photograph. Live the moment! Everything else will take care of itself.</p>

<p>Michael J Hoffman</p>

<p>I suggest avoiding crowded places full of strangers. A marriage proposal is a private thing. At least it is to me.</p>

<p>How about: somewhere in southern France, maybe Provence. I'm envisioning countryside, rolling hills, old stone houses. Somewhere in a vineyard, lavender field, or small country road (photography + romantic). Picnic basket with fresh bread, local cheese, and a bottle of local vino. And at the bottom of the picnic basket is a tiny little box.</p>

<p>Good luck! And do tell us how it panned out!</p>

<p>edit to add: wireless remote would be an asset, beats the timer and beeps which could impact the mood.</p>

<p>Ryan K, if I won the lotto I'd happily take you with me! Although, I'm sure a local photographer would charge me less than the travel agent!</p>

<p>I definately will try avoid public places, as much as possible. Unfortunately, I cant give the rest of France a memo to stay away from the Tower on that day, but If i do it there, it will have to be in one of the quieter sides of the park. </p>

<p>Arie, your suggestion sounds amazing! That was actually my first choice, when I first started planning, but the logistics just wont work. Michael J Hoffman, I totally hear your views and agree completely. The thing is, the photography is primarily just to allow me to keep it a surprise. Which I really would like! Planning a trip to the country, or similar would definitely give away the proposal long before we get there. Pulling out a ring while in the middle of a session of fun photos should hopefully not be expected! </p>

<p>Claude, the pics of that spot do look great! But most of them are completely full of tourists in a limited space. Is there any place around there which is less busy? </p>

<p>So far, I'm leaning towards a later afternoon / early evening proposal in the park in front of the tower, followed by a cruise. Or at dusk, followed by a cocktail cruise. The only spanner in the works would be the dress code on the boats, since I'm pretty sure I wont be wearing a collared shirt and jacket (or that will surely give it away!). As for lighting, I do have a 430 EX II which I'll take with. As for the wireless shutter release, I think I'll leave it. I have one for my 7d, but I think it will be a mood killer and complication more than anything. If the timer works, winner! If not, we'll still be alright ;)</p>

<p>This forum is such a wealth of great info, thank you all so much! Keep the suggestions coming!</p>

<p>Going against the grain, I would suggest a proposal in front of a crowd.</p>

<p>Take her to the Eiffel Tower during mid day when bus loads of tourists are around. Pose her in front of the Tower and get down on one knee as if you are shooting. Fumble around in your camera bag and come out with the ring. While handing her the ring with one hand, snap away with the camera in the other hand. (An alternate method is to have the camera on a tripod and release the shutter with a cable.)</p>

<p>You demonstrate to her that you want the world to witness your vow for her, and have the courage to do so. There is much less of a chance for her to refuse in front of everyone, who by then would have gone wild with cheering. Even if she is suspecting or anticipating a proposal, this would be the last place she would expect. The surprise, tears and joy in her face (if everything goes well) captured at that moment with the Tower in the background by you would be priceless (you must practice shooting with one hand first). If you have a second shooter capturing both of you and the crowd, that would also be priceless. She being a photographer, would appreciate the planning and execution.</p>

<p>So you're looking for a beautiful landmark, and no crowd. That's tough. There are pretty small squares throughout Paris, with benches suitable for a picnic, and fairly quiet. Place Dauphine, just off the Pont-Neuf on the Ile de la Cite, lined with pretty 17th c. houses, and lots of trees. In Montmartre, there is a small vineyard, which I believe you can visit if you send a request ahead of time (try emailing from the contact page at <a href="http://www.commanderie-montmartre.com/">http://www.commanderie-montmartre.com/</a>). In the Latin Quarter, the Place de la Contrescarpe, near the market on rue Mouffetard, where you could buy all the goodies for your picnic. The banks of the Canal St-Martin are also quiet and romantic. And for a very different look at Paris, the Grand Arche de la Defense, with the whole of Paris lying in front of you.</p>

<p>The previous location suggestions are great. The only caveat I have is the risk of some thief stealing the camera during the proposal at the eiffel tower. The last time I was there I got my pocket picked!<br>

Other good locations are the grassy areas around Sacre Coeur, the Louvre, or one of the small cafes in Il de La Cite. If you want to do it outside of Paris, do it at Giverny, the gardens where Monet did most of his paintings. Joe Smith</p>

<p> My, this one is though.<br>

I'll tend to rule out the bateau-muche as the proper site for The Proposal itself, though it would be quite OK for afterwards. Reason: there will be a lot of other people onboard, and you might even have to share your table with other people. Further, once you do your act you and your wife-to-be will immediately become the centre for everyone's attention. This might even be pleasant for a moment, but I don't seem to think the both of you would appreciate being constantly under the spotlights for the two hours-odd duration of the cruise.<br>

As regards the Eifel Tower, most visitors stop at the intermediate station, and you may be able to avoid the crowd by taking the second lift (at extra cost) to the small platform at the very top. This, however, is SMALL and even a few people will fill it to capacity, so that unless you are lucky and catch the right moment, you might not even be able to kneel. And, I don't want to think for a moment about what would happen, should the ring slip from your or her hands... The Tower also has a (pricey and not very good) restaurant, but IMHO proposing in a restaurant is the ultimate no-no.<br>

If you are looking for something really out of the ordinary, what about the steps of the main altar in Notre-Dame? I don't know whether you and your lady friend are religious or not, but this is the very spot where Napoleon, after having been crowned as Emperor by the Pope, crowned Josephine as his Empress with his own hands. You'll have to take some liberty with history, given that Napoleon was standing while Josephine was kneeling, but it will do.<br>

If you decide to take this route or at least to explore it, make sure to carry her to the Louvre beforehand to see the painting, otherwise the meaning of your choice would be lost to her.</p>

<p>ys werwards.</p>

<p> My, this one is though.<br>

I'll tend to rule out the bateau-muche as the proper site for The Proposal itself, though it would be quite OK for afterwards. Reason: there will be a lot of other people onboard, and you might even have to share your table with other people. Further, once you do your act you and your wife-to-be will immediately become the centre for everyone's attention. This might even be pleasant for a moment, but I don't seem to think the both of you would appreciate being constantly under the spotlights for the two hours-odd duration of the cruise.<br>

As regards the Eifel Tower, most visitors stop at the intermediate station, and you may be able to avoid the crowd by taking the second lift (at extra cost) to the small platform at the very top. This, however, is SMALL and even a few people will fill it to capacity, so that unless you are lucky and catch the right moment, you might not even be able to kneel. And, I don't want to think for a moment about what would happen, should the ring slip from your or her hands... The Tower also has a (pricey and not very good) restaurant, but IMHO proposing in a restaurant is the ultimate no-no.<br>

If you are looking for something really out of the ordinary, what about the steps of the main altar in Notre-Dame? I don't know whether you and your lady friend are religious or not, but this is the very spot where Napoleon, after having been crowned as Emperor by the Pope, crowned Josephine as his Empress with his own hands. You'll have to take some liberty with history, given that Napoleon was standing while Josephine was kneeling, but it will do.<br>

If you decide to take this route or at least to explore it, make sure to carry her to the Louvre beforehand to see the painting, otherwise the meaning of your choice would be lost to her.</p>

<p> </p><div>00WmVC-256149584.jpg.2d5d6b985321b112e0f4dc0fd6ea380f.jpg</div>

<p>"Les Jardins ("gardens") de Luxembourg" are very attractive, and the pond near the Senate building has neat white sculptures that might be good backgrounds. If there is an outdoor photo exhibition it wil be on the outside of the garden fences - often quite amazing large images that might make interesting backdrops. Or you can go to the Panthenon and be photographed in front of Foucault's famous pendulum, which proved the rotation of the earth.</p>

<p>The "Tuileries" park (a castle was so named before it was destroyed during the Revolution) adjacent to the Louvre gallery is quite interesting. Last time I was there an eclectic Russian artist had set up his homemade and liveable submarine in the middle of one of the ponds - pretty amusing - he played funky music from its loudspeakers for the passersby and had a little boat to reach the pond edge.</p>

<p>The Eiffel tower is old hat - I would prefer to search out something unique - Montmarte is a cool (if crowded) area with lots of neat terraces and hilly streets and the Sacre Coeur church. The booksellers on the Left Bank ("Rive Gauche"), not far from Notre Dame cathedral, are picturesque and typically Parisian, and you can even do a "Doisneau type" kiss scene in front of the Hotel de Ville (City Hall). Montorgueuil Street in the 2nd Arrondissement (not far from Louvre) is a favourite pedestrian only street - lots of picturesque terraces and specialty food shops - real Paris - where the Parisians relax - not the faux Paris of the overly touristic St Michel-Seine-side area.</p>

<p>Of course France is much, much, much more (a way of life hard to refuse) than Paris, but you are likely to visit it on a first trip. But for me, notwithstanding the beauty of London (my agreeable residence for four years), it is a much better and more romantic venue than London - London is a man, Paris a woman - and the City of Light!</p>

<p>I liked Claud's idea of the bridge. I think the river is pretty special, so a boat ride perhaps. Or at night, beside the Louvre Pyramid or one of the bridges.<br>

I proposed to my wife in one of the glass houses at Kew Gardens in London.</p>