Manual Focus 180 f/2/8 or 300 f/4.5?

william_markey

<p>I just purchased an almost-new (less than 10 rolls taken) Nikon F3HP yesterday - one of my dream cameras. Along with the camera, I purchased a 105 f/2.8 Micro AIS Nikkor and a 28-85 f/3.5 - 4.5 Nikkor. Since I shoot mostly wanna-be models and portraits, I'd like add a bit longer lens. For those of you with experience with the 180 f2.8 and/or the 300 f/4.5...which would give me a better bokeh and nicer over-all photograph?</p>

<p>Thanks for your opinions and your help!</p>

<p>I have the older 180/2.8 pre-AI Nikkor, which functions in stop-down metering mode with my F3HP, and the 300/4.5 AI ED (non-IF) Nikkor, which is fully functional with my 35mm Nikons and D2H. I've also tried the pre-D version of the 180/2.8 AF Nikkor and liked it.</p>

<p>For most situations I've found the 180/2.8 more useful for portraits, include group portraits of families. As long as there's enough room for camera-subject separation it's a good focal length. It's very sharp even wide open and the bokeh is delightful - possibly the best of all my Nikkors, including the excellent 105/2.5 AI.</p>

<p>I've used the 300/4.5 only a few times for portraits. To get enough separation for single subject portraits I'd have the subject sit at the end of the dock (I used to live on a lake front) while I moved about halfway back down the dock - quite a distance. And it doesn't focus closely enough for convenient use in tight quarters - around 18 feet minimum on mine. It's a terrific lens with good bokeh, but it's most useful for nature or wildlife photography.</p>

<p>I've got both the 180 f/2.8 and the 300 f/4.5, both lenses in AIS manual focus flavors. I've also got an F3HP.</p>

<p>For portraiture, there's no contest. The 180 f/2.8 wins. The 300 is too long. The extra focal length means not only more distance between subject and photographer (invest in a bullhorn or walkie-talkies to direct your model), but also more camera shake, so a tripod or a VERY fast shutter speed is essential to get the best out of the lens. The 180 can get away with a slower shutter speed, and it's a faster lens, so you effectively get around a two stop advantage with the 180. Yes, you CAN take portraits with the 300, but it's normally easier to do with the 180, and either lens can isolate the subject with selective focus and a blurred background.</p>

<p>The 180 is more compact, as well, though either lens is a good sized hunk of glass.</p>

<p>Both lenses seem sharp enough for my purposes, but I don't shoot test targets much. All the reports I've seen from those who DO test extensively point to the 180 f/2.8 being a better performer than the 300 f/4.5. Note that there are several versions of the 300 f/4.5, though -- I have the non-ED non-IF one which has the poorest reputation.</p>

<p>Carey, my copy of the 300/4.5 AI ED (non-IF) Nikkor is very sharp, even wide open, good enough that I seldom stop down to more than f/5.6. The shop I bought it from also had an earlier non-ED 300/4.5 Nikkor that was definitely inferior (had to be stopped down to f/8 for decent sharpness), and a 300/4 AF Nikkor. This particular copy of the 300/4.5 AI ED was the best of the bunch, including wide open. It's just as good on my D2H as with film in the F3HP and FM2N.</p>

<p>180 2.8 is a sweetie, that would probably be you're preferred choice. That being said, I have an excellent copy of the regular 300 4.5 Ais I picked up very reasonable and I really like this lens. It is very smooth and has beautiful color, almost zero distortion of any kind, and you can all but blast a flash right through it before it flares. It may not be hairpoint sharp like some others but it is a really fine lens for what it does. I use it wide open and love it for the right subject. One really great feature for the F3, haven't had one in a while, is the E focus screen with the grid on it. With the high eyepoint it's very useable in lining things up. Enjoy, Dave</p>