Manual cable release for a7RII when on tripod

I am specifically looking for a way to shutter release a Sony a7RII mounted on a tripod in the vertical position. Currently the manual release cables attachment are too bulking and interfere with mounting it on a tripod. I usually shoot my pano's in the vertical position.

The only solution I have found is an IR release Sony Wireless Remote Commander and I have some concern about functionality when I am behind the camera.

Thanks

• The vertical part of the RRS L-Plate for a Sony A7Rii is extendable, with ample room for an electronic USB release.
  • There are also cables and adapters with a right angle plug which use slightly less space.
  • You can also use the Sony smartphone app, PlayMemoriesMobile to trip the shutter automatically, without using the USB port.
  • Use the self time to allow time for vibrations to damp out after using the manual release.

• Like 1

Thanks Ed.

I had forgotten that the RRS L-plate extends, but just tested it with the Vello RC-S221 Shutter Boss and the connection is too long.

The Sony smartphone app really eats battery life

Will look for cables/adapters with right angle. Did a quick search, but did not find anything.

Thanks again

I found some 6" adapter cables with right-angle connectors on Amazon. I have the first version of the RRS L-plate, which may extend further (over 1"). Right angle cables come RH and LH. I have one of each for flexibility.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Micro-USB-Cable-UUSBHAUB3RA/dp/B001AR4NC8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515265727&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+micro+right+angle

My RRS L plate extends 1 1/8 inch.

Just order these following up on your provided link.

https://www.amazon.com/Ksmile®-Right-Degree-Female-Adapters/dp/B01C6031MA/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01C6031MA&pd_rd_r=M0016WES7SKQ8AC5H0PH&pd_rd_w=CRMM2&pd_rd_wg=Viar6&psc=1&refRID=M0016WES7SKQ8AC5H0PH

Hopefully I will remember to post back and let you know how they work. They look big in the picture, but no scale info. Thanks for your help

I sent a link to the wrong device. It's a cable, micro to male connector. You need an adapter with a female B connector...

https://www.amazon.com/Ksmile®-Right-Degree-Female-Adapters/dp/B01C6031MA/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01C6031MA&pd_rd_r=AC9E02QC4FETD4H0031N&pd_rd_w=Xuf5t&pd_rd_wg=diYQl&psc=1&refRID=AC9E02QC4FETD4H0031N

If you ordered the cable, keep it. It's handy for attaching a USB power pack to the camera for extended use, like event portraits, school photos, astronomy or time lapse.

On a separate but related note. I sometimes take 3-5 exposure values for each position on the pano to generate a HDR pano. For the exposure values I use the bracketing that Sony provides. Do you know of anyway to insert a 1-2 second delay to allow for shutter vibrations to damp out or perhaps just use total silent shutter mode?

Do you know of anyway to insert a 1-2 second delay to allow for shutter vibrations to damp out or perhaps just use total silent shutter mode?

The A7Rii, A9 and presumably the A7Riii have similar capability, but the menu is different. The following describes the A7Rii.

In the menu, "camera" column 2, there are two settings:

• Bracket Settings: Selftimer during Brkt - select off, 2, 5 or 10 seconds
  • Drive Mode: Select continuous bracket mode (e.g., BRK C 1ev5 (continuous, 5 frames with 1 ev spacing)
  • Drive Mode: You can also select the self timer without bracketing, or off.

I assign "Drive Mode" to the quick menu, since I use it frequently.

You can shoot bracketed EV sets one at a time (single servo) or at high speed. If the self timer is off, shooting starts immediately, but you must hold the shutter until the operation is complete. (f you let up on the shutter, the bracket will take up where it left off on the next press (not something you want to do accidentally).

If you set the self timer to some value, and use a continuous bracket mode, you can press and release the shutter. After the preset delay, the bracket will execute automatically.

You probably don't need a remote release nor timer delay if the shutter speed is faster than 1/60 second. You can leave IBIS on with a tripod without noticeable artifacts. I shoot a lot of bracketed sets for HDR, including for stitched panoramas. At 5 fps, HDR only, I seldom use a tripod in daylight. The camera moves vary little between frames. I prefer to use a tripod for panoramas, for consistency position and level between shots I generally use Aperture-priority, auto-shutter and auto ISO. Changing the aperture can result in focus shift.

Edited by Ed_Ingold

Well the devices I ordered do not work. Not only do they not connect to the camera adequately, but also the Vello cable as well.

I have shot both HDR and pano hand held, but since I am planning on a New Zealand trip I wanted to optimize the pano portion by using a tripod. I usually shoot my HDR in manual model with a fixed ISO. That forces the camera to adjust only the shutter speed.

I checked your description

• Bracket Settings: Selftimer during Brkt - select off, 2, 5 or 10 seconds
  • Drive Mode: Select continuous bracket mode (e.g., BRK C 1ev5 (continuous, 5 frames with 1 ev spacing

and it works perfectly and would get rid of the need for a shutter release cable.

What do you think about using silent shutter to reduce shutter vibrations?

Thanks again.

The bit depth is 14 with the mechanical shutter, but 12 with. I'm not sure there's any noticeable difference. You can't use continuous shutter in the electronic (silent) mode. That means you have to press the shutter separately for each shot of the bracket (continuous is blanked out). It's an option, but unless you need silence, using the shutter in continuous mode is more convenient. If you use the electronic front shutter, there is no shutter vibration, since the shutter closes after the shot.

You definitely need a tripod in A mode and constant ISO. However the A7Rii has very low noise even at ISO 25,600, and you can set the allowable range to some lesser value. IMO, auto ISO works well, saves a lot of time, and allows hand-held HDR and panos.

I apologize for sending a link to the wrong cables. You need a cable with one female end to fit the cable release. You don't have to push the vertical plate all the way into the tripod clamp either. You can let it hang over the end to allow room for the cable.

Do you turn off your front curtain electronic shutter has shutter speeds above 1/500 sec? I have never noticed any artifact, but perhaps I should look harder. I rarely shoot over 1/1000 of a second.

Can you resend me the corrected link. Your second link took me to what I had ordered which I does not work.

Out of 30K or more images on my A7Rii, I have used the mechanical front shutter not more than a dozen times. Most recently was for astronomical time time-lapse photos, so I could tell when the shutter tripped. Unlike the earlier A7ii, you still get 14 bit RAW images with the electronic front shutter.

The last link I sent are small, high-anglle micro-M to micro=F adapters, which should work.

https://www.amazon.com/Ksmile®-Right-Degree-Female-Adapters/dp/B01C6031MA/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01C6031MA&pd_rd_r=AC9E02QC4FETD4H0031N&pd_rd_w=Xuf5t&pd_rd_wg=diYQl&psc=1&refRID=AC9E02QC4FETD4H0031N

My first link was for short M-M cables.

Pictures are worth a thousand words. I guess I've use up the words, so here are some pictures. The old RRS L-bracket can slide open about an inch. the upright bracket is U-shaped, so the open end can clear the connector. In one shot, I show the use of one of the right angle USB Micro adapters. In the other, I use the straight remote connector directly, but with the camera off-center on the head to leave space for the connector. This attachment is perfectly stable, since it overlaps the center of the clamp. The tilt is due to the photographer before his third cup of coffee, not any indication of instability ;)

_A9_6247.thumb.jpg.dc66ea9eccde3cfcc88bf99f64913e35.jpg

_A9_6248.thumb.jpg.28efad53c8e8dc2e5bb046e1cbed9d0b.jpg

Hi Ed,

Yep, The top picture looks like what I have. Unfortunately, such a configuration with the pieces I have does not work. I have tried several times. The second picture is the what mine looks like with a straight connection. I have checked with Vello and they don't have a solution. I don't know how much artifact will be introduced by being off center. I suppose I could test it. In the mean time, your shutter delay would work, and I have the Sony IR remote and that works as well, with the caveat that I need to place the Sony IR release in a position in front of the plane of the camera.

• 2 weeks later...
The small right-angle adapters fit micro-USB connectors. The male connector goes into the camera. The female connector is exposed. It looks somewhat like a male connector, but a plug from the cable release fits inside. They come in pairs. Connected to the camera, one would extend to the right, the other to the left as shown. I don't much like cascading connectors, but it does work and would allow the camera to be centered on the tripod.

Yes, I have configured it that way, but it does not trigger the camera. The male cable barely enters into the female of the right angle, at least on my copies, so I suspect a poor connection at that point. Also the male connection into the camera is not clean(slightly angled due to body obstruction-sort like it appears in your picture.)

Your suggestion of delayed bracket will work and is simple if I remember, and I picked up the IR Sony remote, which works, but requires pointing the remote toward the front of the camera. Out of curiosity do you use continuous release when you bracket or shutter release.

Just got the 24-105 f4, but have not used it much. Seems ok thus far. Know anyone who might want the 24-70 f4 that is in excellent condition.

The adapter is angled but the connection is good, if somewhat precarious. It's caused by the weight of the cable, not some construction fault. I prefer the straight connector, off center, for reliability. The male connector should fully engage the female connector on the adapter, plastic to metal as shown. It's hard to tell the wide edge, so your orientation may be off by 180 degrees and not fit. It's also possible that something is bent or crushed. (Too bad newer Sony hasn't adopted USB-C, which is symmetrical.)

I use the continuous © mode for bracketed exposures, with aperture priority and usually auto ISO (changing the aperture can change the focus). The entire set is complete within a couple of seconds using the A7Rii (5 fps), which is less time for things to move (including the camera) and makes hand-held shots practical. With the A9, a 5 shot bracket takes less than half a second. You don't need a tripod to get sharp images, thanks to IBIS, but a tripod is best for consistency.

Taking vertical panoramas with bracketed exposures adds up to a lot of images. A little dust on the sensor makes editing even more fun. Fortunately Lightroom lets you copy dust removal actions to as many other images as you like. At very least you can treat each position as one. In practice you can do the entire panorama set. You can also spot the finished panorama prior to making copies.