Manfrotto tripod.

gus_gus1

I have a tripod which I am thinking of selling. I cant find any info on this tripod as far as price goes. It is a Manfrotto model # 3036. It has a head which is Manfrotto model #3047.. The head has three adjusting handles on it. The condition is like new. I believe I only used it once. Any information on this tripod will be appreciated. Thaniks in advance.

It's been my tripod of choice for years. I bought mine from B&H Photo in the 80's. It will support most any camera, up to and including 8x10. The 3047 head, a three-axis type, is my favorite, and every tripod I own (eight) uses this head. For me, it's far superior to any ball head since each axis of movement is independently controlled. I also used it as a studio tripod with dolly wheels attached.

However, the downside is its weight. I use it when I don't have to travel far from my car. It's not one to consider for hiking, and I have others which are lighter for that purpose.

The Manfrotto 475 is its replacement. I also own one of those courtesy of an estate sale.

It's going to be difficult to sell it in today's "lightweight" environment, and considering the carbon fiber competition. I've seen them sell for less than $100 used, but I recently saw one at a local dealer, and he was asking $200 for a 475-B. I'd ask $150 for the unit, but be prepared to knock dollars off that number if you really want to move it.

• 4 months later...

I've always liked the 3047 head and its cousin the 3039 (which has independently adjustable drag, so it can be used on heavy loads without flopping). The hex plates are a single layer, with the attachment bolts protruding through the bottom, making it really easy to modify existing ones or fabricate one's own. The drawback is that they're big and hard to pack. There is an L-plate that's wonderfully strong and secure, but it's huge. If I did not need to travel a bit with my stuff, I'd still use it, but nowadays prefer a ball head with Arca plates, though I still have the hefty 3021 leg set. I've found that a field hockey stick bag is almost perfect for carrying the tripod with the ball head, but with the 3047 head one has either to take the handles off or leave the top of the bag open.

The 3047 came in several flavors. The later one has a locking lever which prevents accidental release and also allows the lever to be held open and snap shut when the plate is inserted. An earlier one has just the cam, with no lock at all. An even earlier one, which I think was made by Bogen before Manfrotto merged with them, uses a screw to tighten over the plate. Less convenient but very secure, it allows for more variation in plate size.

Just a bit of info:

Bogen did not merge with Manfrotto. Bogen traded Manfrotto products under their own brand name in the U.S. of A (as they also did with other manufacturers' products).

Italian firm Manfrotto merged with french competitor Gitzo, consolidating production, but remaining two separate brands with each their own line of products.

Bogen, Manfrotto and Gitzo are all owned by the British Vitec Group.

• Like 1

You will probably never get more than two of these characteristics in one tripod:

• light mass
  • really steady
  • cheap

I have about a dozen or so newer and older tripods. Most of them are massive since I use them most often with long lenses, but I don't carry those too far from my transportation.

I've sold a number of heavier tripods. Packing them is quite challenging but the big problem is the cost of postage, make sure you don't underestimate this. You can sell as collection in person only, but this severely limits the size of the available market and therefore reduces the price.

Heavy tripods must lose almost as much value, percentage-wise, as new cars do as soon as you drive 'em off the dealer's forecourt.

I have a Manfrotto #028, Aka 'Triman', the slightly bigger brother of the 475. I only paid £12 (= about $17) for it a few years back, but that was in poor cosmetic condition. So I suspect $150 might be a little optimistic.

Still, no harm in trying for that figure.

• 1 month later...
I don't know the whole history of Bogen and Manfrotto, but it was my impression that the first iteration of the 3047 and the hex plate was a Bogen before it was a Manfrotto. There is a dearth of information on Bogen before their association with Manfrotto, though, so it is sort of a guess. There seems to be no record of a Manfrotto version with a screw clamp for the plate, rather than a lever.

I don't know the whole history of Bogen and Manfrotto, but it was my impression that the first iteration of the 3047 and the hex plate was a Bogen before it was a Manfrotto. There is a dearth of information on Bogen before their association with Manfrotto, though, so it is sort of a guess. There seems to be no record of a Manfrotto version with a screw clamp for the plate, rather than a lever.

Lester Bogen was in Italy at a small photographic trade show where Lino Manfrotto was at his tripod booth. Bogen liked the pod, asked to market it in the USA, which Linfrotto had never considered. A contract for Bogen to market and service Manfrotto Tripods in the USA for five years, renewable on mutually satisfactory terms was made . There was also a standard agreement for Manfrotto to buy out Bogen at predetermined terms. Bogen originally set up his distribution in New Jersey for Manfrotto and some other brands. At some point Karl Heitz, who had the only USA gitzo distributorship with very poor marketing, sold out to Bogen around the time that Manfrotto bought out Lester. A few years later, the founder of Gitzo ( factory in Menton, France near the Italy border), died and his heirs sold Gitzo to Vitec ( English holding company ) which had already bought Manfrottto. Gitzo moved entirely to Italy, but has its own assembly section.I once visited the original Menton Gitzo facility which was very small and had many hand assembly sections and rigorous quality control testing of every tripod sold ( then). As to Manfrotto/Bogen product differences.: Originally imported Bogen tripods were EXACTLY the same as the Italian versions. Later on, prior to Manfrotto acquiring Bogen Distributing there were some Manfrotto models that had minor modifications for the US market, but have I no specifics. Manfrotto in New used the NJ service dept. only.

Stan