Manfrotto Stacker Stands

j.lewis.photo

I'm about to purchase a set of four light stands as general purpose stands, for location and studio work.

They'll always need to be stored away when not in use, and the only stands I currently own are two c-stands.

My question is how sturdy are these stands, and is there anything annoying about the "stacker" design? I've used

the standard black stands (A630B), and thats about the sturdyness to weight ratio that I'm looking for. These

two stands seem to be comparable on paper, I just wanted to hear from someone with experience using the stacker

design, and make sure that there not cheap or gimmicky.

Thanks,

- Josh

I have the stacker stands that I think you're referring to, and they're fine. Three of them will take up just a hair more space to store

than ONE of the old style. The rubber thing that holds them together takes a bit of strength to stretch, but works fine. If you can't

manage that, one bungee cord will hold them, too. The only SLIGHTLY, possibly annoying thing, and it's very slight, is that you'll

have to give the legs a push outward to start with when spreading them. Otherwise, they're just like the Manfrottos you're used to.

• 2 weeks later...
is that what that rubber thing is for? I've been using it to pull the legs back up. I have two Avenger stacker stands and would highly recommend. they are not terribly heavy and very good support. it would take a lot to tip them over. And the stacker feature is a great space saver.

• 5 weeks later...