Manfrotto/Bogen 3221

nancy_wollman

<p>Hi!<br>

I am hoping someone can help me on this. I bought my tripod used and did not get the manual with it. I believe it is an older model so the columns can't do the lateral, at least i don't think.<br>

I am starting to do more macros and want to get low to the ground. Do I take out the center columns and put on a low angle adapter? Can i take out the center columns and put the head right on top without the columns? If anyone can tell me any advice or where to get a copy of the user guide it would be much appreciated! I haven't found anything on the web. The head is a Manfrotto 322RC2. I didn't get a manual with that either so i am not sure how to take everything apart.<br>

Thanks!<br>

Nancy</p>

<p>What you want to do is spread the legs as wide as they'll go to get the tripod close to the ground (there are the leg angle lock levers that need to be released for that). You might need a shorter center column to go lower, but with this model you msut have some sort of column there.<br>

I've reversed the column once in the field and I'm not doing it again; it was simply too awkward to work with. Now I work with a tripod with no center column.</p>

<p>In addition to Oskar's comment:</p>

<p>Some of the early 3221's had a split center column. Look for a seam halfway along the length of the column. Mine has an Allen key set-screw. On the early ones, the column locking lever had a sort of 'bayonet-spring' mount: you could push in on the lever and rotate it a quarter turn anti-clockwise, and the lever would pop off. Now the lever acts as an allen key to take half the center column off.</p>

<p>I've owned three of the 3221's - they're a great platform.</p>

<p>There was a low angle adapter for this tripod, if it is new enough to have the triangular, rather than the round, column, and you can see it in Scott Wilson's photograph. That triangular piece on what has become the top, but is usually the bottom, of the column, snaps out of the column, and can be replaced alone in place of the column. Of course you have to take the head off and put it on the adapter instead, but it will then allow you to put the tripod flat on the ground.</p>

<p>As far as I know, the earlier round column models (with twisting leg logs instead of the flip levers) did not have that adapter, and the legs also don't spread as wide as the later ones, so if yours is one of those, you'll be more limited in your ability to go low. You could still try a shorter column, and you can also get a little closer to the ground if you spread out two legs more than the third, and arrange the whole tripod to tilt. Of course you have to be careful not to overdo it and tip it over, but with the legs down short, and the tripod tilted over, you can get at least partway there.</p>

<p>The 3221 can be reversed as described here although some of the later models do not have the bayonet mounted column lever but the allen wrench is instead located "in" the rubber cap on the bottom of the column. You can also just pull the column off and reverse it as well, although it is a bit more of a pain in the rear to do it.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for answering! I did try Manfrotto and nothing came up for it. It does have the split seam on the column. It has the rubber cap on the bottom of the column so i am not sure that can be reversed like in Scott's photo. I am pretty positive it is the older version, but i love it!<br>

I am going to try playing with it tomorrow, I am new to tripods and i had no idea it had so much diversity.</p>

<p>Pull out the rubber at the bottom, you may find the allen wrench embedded in it. Use that on the screw where the seam is-fits in only one side- but after raising it above the plate holding the legs-pull off the top section with the head and then fit that section into where you just removed the rubber and you have just reversed the column the easy way! Also, just removing the lower section, which I do all the time, allows the tripod to get much lower than otherwise. And there is/was an attachment that used to fit into the screw where the head attaches that would make into a horizontal arm that had another screw where the head could attach. This could be done with or without reversing the column to get more flexibility getting close to subjects, although it does make the tripod off balance a bit--use a small sandbag as a counter balance.</p>

<p>Actually, I have owned 3 of them and never seen any manual or brochure on any of this!</p>

<p>If you have the older style with round column, you can still use the low angle adapter from the later style. Even though it has a different cross section, it fits. You don't need such a short piece if the legs don't splay all the way out anyway, but it might be a useful option if you happen to have a long one piece column that you're unwilling to cut. I just have a short column on mine, which works fine for me since the tripod is so tall anyway.</p>

<p>I think you can get the adapters as replacements from Manfrotto. There are two sizes, one for the 3001 and its relatives, and a larger one for the 3021, 3221 and its ilk. I think the 055 adapter sold by B&H is the right size, and at $10 it could be a reasonable alternative if your column isn't jointed.</p>