Manfrotto 190CX3 vs 190CXPRO{3,4}

david_barts2

<p>I take my camera gear hiking a lot, so I've decided to upgrade to a carbon fiber tripod to minimize weight.</p>

<p>I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Manfrotto 190CX series of legs. The issue I'm pondering is whether it's really worth spending extra for the "PRO" legs that have the center column which can be pulled out and rotated 90 degrees. I've tried that feature on a demo tripod (an 055 not a 190) in the local camera store, and it certainly seems like it would be <i>very</i> nice for macro work (which is probably 90% of what I'd use the tripod for).</p>

<p>On the other hand, the carbon fiber tripod legs are so light that I wonder if the weight of the camera body and macro lens wouldn't just make the tripod tip over if I did that. I suppose I could hang my camera bag or a water bottle on the other end of the rotated center column to act as a counterweight. If, of course, that actually resulted in a working arrangement, instead of something that's precarious and on the verge of falling if someone so much as looks at it crosseyed. On top of that, the special rotating socket for the center column weighs more than the plain socket on the non-"PRO" version, so if it is a minimally useful feature, it's probably not worth the extra weight (let alone the extra money).</p>

<p>So, does anyone here have any real-world experience with the 190CXPRO3 or 190CXPRO4 legs? Is the rotating center column an actual useful feature or do you find it to be more of a gimmick?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>On top of that, the special rotating socket for the center column weighs more than the plain socket on the non-"PRO" version ...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Seems I spoke too hastily on that. According to Manfrotto's own specs, the CXPRO3 actually weighs slightly <i>less</i> than the CX3, thanks to its use of a magnesium and carbon fiber instead of aluminum for both the center column and the top casting.</p>

<p>I was about to post a question very similar to yours. I visited my local camera store today, and the 190CXPRO3 brought a smile to my face as I felt its weight. I too am wondering if it's just too good to be worthwhile to me. Right now I use a 5D and the heaviest lens I own is an EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro. I hope to add an EF 200mm f/2.8 or possibly an EF 135mm f/2 in the future. Is the 190CXPRO3 enought tripod for me? I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I was about to type in a very similar question. Before I went to the store, I had my heart set on a 055XPROB, but the weight difference is significant between these two tripods. The carbon fibre version of the 055 is just a be too expensive for me. I may be able to stretch the budget enough to fit the 190CXPRO3. <br /><br>

Sorry, David, I really wish that I had answers for you. You're in the same boat that I'm in! You're asking the right questions, though, so I hope others will answer your question.</p>

<p>Mine arrived! Mounted my Manfr. head, and my oh my. Very nice. I'm happy, I recommend it, it's so light and yet feels very solid. Because of the tilt-able center column, the stability hook is placed oddly at the tripod joint (since it couldn't be on the column bottom if it's going to tilt), but other than that it's very straighforward. Fit and finish are very nice.<br>

I am a happy camper... and this one is going on my Memorial Day camping trip to Acadia this spring.</p>