Manfrotto 058 Tripod Bubble Level Replacement

John Seaman

I acquired a battered old Manfrotto 058 heavy duty tripod, along with a large 168 ball and socket head, at a recent autojumble. I've spent some time cleaning and refurbishing it – the broken handle was replaced by a simple knob which works well enough.

The bubble level was dead, so decided to try and replace it, even though I can't remember ever using one. I chiselled it out with a screwdriver – probably smaller than the one shown in the picture – and cleaned out the 12mm hole- there's no way to get at it from underneath on these. I managed to find replacements online, by googling “Tiny Disc Bubble Spirit Level Round Circle Circular Green Tripod” (I've no interest in this supplier). I ordered two 10mm and two 12mm levels, just in case the 12mm size was too large. They aren't exactly expensive.

Manfhow.jpg.9ca6400220aede78cfa64463549b8057.jpg

Before fitting it I used a spirit level on the centre column to level things up, and placed the new bubble level on a flat part of the tripod for confirmation.

In the event the 12mm bubble level was a tight fit and would not go all the way down the hole, and I has to scrape the hole out somewhat, also carefully file down the level itself before it dropped in snugly.

Probably this would work with any Manfrotto or other brand tripod with a similar bubble level.

I hope this might be of use to someone. Here's the whole thing:

Manfhd.thumb.jpg.18aa931e3e96a6ee86e2c9bfc67aa049.jpg

Edited by John Seaman

That's understood thanks Dennis. I never found that site but being in the UK, buying things from them might involve high postage costs etc. I guess the bubble level is the same article as the one I got from a seller in the Far East.

It's interesting that they have the centre column crank, the handle of which is broken on mine, for $69.99. That's a lot more than I paid for the whole tripod plus head, so I think I will stick with my solution of fitting a knob over the broken stump, it seems to work well enough.

That's understood thanks Dennis. I never found that site but being in the UK, buying things from them might involve high postage costs etc. I guess the bubble level is the same article as the one I got from a seller in the Far East.

It's interesting that they have the centre column crank, the handle of which is broken on mine, for $69.99. That's a lot more than I paid for the whole tripod plus head, so I think I will stick with my solution of fitting a knob over the broken stump, it seems to work well enough.

I've used them a number of times for my Bogen/Manfrotto parts. They're fairly inexpensive for postage, and I've always had my parts within 7-8 days. British Postal Service is amazingly efficient.

These parts are going to get more expensive, since those models are no longer in production, and the replacement parts have a very finite supply.

• Like 1

Hi John, I was gifted the same 058 / 168 combo a few years ago. It's in similar condition to yours and could do with a strip down to clean and lubricate to get it working smoothly again.

The plate on the 168 head on my sample is covered with cork rather that what appears to be rubber pads on your example the cork has hardened to the point where it feels more like plywood. I'll probably try to source some thin rubber padding and replace it.

Any preferences for lubricants for the working surfaces. I have a range of greases includinga rather exotic 'Electrolube' grease which I bought to service a scanner few yearsago.

Hi John, I was gifted the same 058 / 168 combo a few years ago. It's in similar condition to yours and could do with a strip down to clean and lubricate to get it working smoothly again.

The plate on the 168 head on my sample is covered with cork rather that what appears to be rubber pads on your example the cork has hardened to the point where it feels more like plywood. I'll probably try to source some thin rubber padding and replace it.

Any preferences for lubricants for the working surfaces. I have a range of greases includinga rather exotic 'Electrolube' grease which I bought to service a scanner few yearsago.

The rubber pads also harden over time, and I removed and replaced them with more modern cork with an adhesive back. I used an Xacto knife to cut them to fit.. The cork has stayed pliable.

I have an aerosol can of white lithium grease that I use very sparingly on the gears. I use dry cloth wipes to spread.

Hello Martin, Dennis has beaten me to it. Are there any particular issues with yours? It may be that Dennis will have a more professional knowledge, as he has probably done a lot more tripod repairs than I have.

I used a spray lubricant GT85 with PTFE for the leg extensions, and for the latching mechanism under the platform. I also used it on the ballhead (but not on the ball itself, you don't really want to lubricate that, just clean it). I cleaned inside the ballhead by poking a cloth into the slots with a screwdriver. The rotating mechanism on the ballhead had a dry feel so I worked some ordinary car grease into the groove to make it smoother. I used ordinary cylcle oil on the winding handle shaft and gear rack. Hope this helps.

Hello Martin, Dennis has beaten me to it. Are there any particular issues with yours? It may be that Dennis will have a more professional knowledge, as he has probably done a lot more tripod repairs than I have.

I used a spray lubricant GT85 with PTFE for the leg extensions, and for the latching mechanism under the platform. I also used it on the ballhead (but not on the ball itself, you don't really want to lubricate that, just clean it). I cleaned inside the ballhead by poking a cloth into the slots with a screwdriver. The rotating mechanism on the ballhead had a dry feel so I worked some ordinary car grease into the groove to make it smoother. I used ordinary cylcle oil on the winding handle shaft and gear rack. Hope this helps.

My experiences are just normal maintenance, and avoiding giving anything a "bath" that would get near my cameras. I struggled for a long time, deciding how to lube the rack and pinion on the center shaft. I found that the the best way to treat tripods was the same way I treated firearms - less lube is best, and cleanliness is next to Ansel Adams. I've also used TW-25B, which is a gun lubricant; it's good from -90F, to 450F.

Thanks for the advice, John and Dennis. I haven't had a really close look at it yet as it's sitting in a locker in my garage.

A cleanup and minimal lubrication is the way to go then. I was hoping that it may be practicable to disassemble the ball for thorough cleanup but I'll take John's advice on cleaning this. Just have to clear a bit of space now as this is a seriously large tripod.

Martin, one more thing. If you need to remove the head by loosening the three grub screws underneath, you will likely find that it is seized. To free mine up, I removed the screws and sprayed lubricant into the holes, leaving it overnight. Then replace the screws loosely, and alternately tighten and loosen them one at a time. By doing this repeatedly I think it introduces a rocking motion between head and legs and eventually breaks the seizure, enabling the head to be unscrewed..