Manfrotto 055X-PROB tripod

jamesmck

<p>I recently saw someone using what I think was a Manfrotto 055X-PROB tripod, and was amazed by its versatility (long center column, adjustable leg angle, horizontal column option). I don't know what head he was using, but I am considering a Manfrotto Grip Action Head. Use would be with film and digital SLRs, and maybe occasionally a Mamiya m645, mostly rather still subjects (landscape, boats, street scenes, etc.). Any opinions about this?</p>

<p>The older Bogen branded tripod is my favorite for versatility. Very quick to set up. I have the three way tilt with the hex head (two of them), and I have the little hex plates mounted on all my cameras and big lenses. I'm so glad a friend turned me on to this system some years ago. It has significantly improved the number of shots I can take because it's so easy to set up. Before, I was always hesitating because of the labor involved in the setup. I used a colleague's grip head (it was on a Gitzo tripod, but I don't know what brand the head was). For medium and large format work, it didn't seem like a very comfortable and positive way of moving the camera, to me. Maybe it takes some getting used to.</p>

<p>The legs are very good. Versatile and very easy to use.<br>

As for the head, I would avoid any joystick type head because I find them really hard to position accurately with a heavy camera mounted. I think they are mainly useful for action type photography.<br>

A 3 way head is the easiest to position accurately and would be my choice if weight/bulk and time were not a concern. A ball head is what I use and they are quick to use and easy to position but a little more difficult to position with precision. I like them because they are more compact. The joystick heads are huge in comparison and their holding power doesn't give me confidence. They are basically a huge lever working against the ball. I had a play with one with a 5D and 28-80 L lens on it and it was a little flexible. I personally would recommend a ball head, something like a Markins or something. They don't have to be expensive but don't go for a small one.</p>

<p>Thank you, Michael and Chuk. Allow me to pick your brains a little. I am leaning toward a ball-head, but a Markins is a bit out of my price range. Are any of the cheaper Manfrotto ball-heads (such as the 496RC2) worth considering? Other ball-heads in the <$200 range? A 3-way is also a possibility. I've never used one, but they appear a little cumbersome. What do you consider to be the advantages of the 3-way over the ball? How is the Manfrotto 808RC4 3-Way as a choice?<br /><br />I'll appreciate your thoughts.</p>

<p>For a ball head in the <200 range, maybe try the Really Right Stuff BH-30 PF? Or if you can stretch it, get one with the quick release. Its similar to the Manfrotto, but seems a lot better made (and more expensive). I don't have experience with the 496RC2 but I really do recommend you get a good head regardless.<br /> I had one small Manfrotto head (can't remember the model) when I first started photography thinking it would be fine but it didn't lock tight and when you locked it, the head moved a bit making accurate framing almost impossible. I then bought a Linhof Profi II and it made a world of difference.<br /> The next thing I upgraded was the clamping system. The Manfrotto had a hex platform and I could never tighten it down enough to stop it swivelling on the camera. I then bought some Pentax QR platform and it was better but now the clamp was a bit iffy and one time the spring failed and my camera nearly fell to the floor. After that incident I bought a RRS clamp and some RRS plates. Now I have full confidence in my tripod. And my tripod is the 190 pro, smaller than the 055. That little sequence of events really made me treasure a good head and clamp system.<br /> RRS have some of the best clamps and plates in the business. I expect their ball heads to be of similar high quality. I haven' actually used their heads so maybe they aren't so great. Some reading of reviews will find that out for you.</p>

<p>A 3-way is a good choice if size and weight aren't a problem. They are much bigger than a similar capacity ball head. The advantages over a ball head is that they allow for greater precision in framing, i.e. you can adjust each axis independently on a 3-way where on a BH, you undo the lock and it will move in any direction freely. This makes making adjustments, for example, on the vertical axis without disturbing the side to side orientation more difficult. I actually find 3-ways frustrating to use because they are slow and I can never remember which knob changes which axis. And you need to know what axis you want to change as well. Ball heads are quick to use because you just loosen one knob and aim the camera and then tighten the knob. For the 3-way, you need to loosen and tighten 3 knobs, which is not a problem for landscapes etc, but it does take time.<br /> The 808RC4 looks nice but for that money I would go for the RRS or some other ball head myself. My wife used to use a 3-way and she used my tripod for a while and she was instantly converted. It is a rather personal choice though so try to go to a shop and try out a ball and 3-way for yourself to see if the working style fits you.</p>

<p>Actually you might want to look at the ball head discussion above too.</p>