Manfrotto 055 pro (older silver version) centre column question

gnashings

Hi all,

I know there is a multitude of versions of the venerable 055, and I recently bought a second hand example. It's the older natural metal finish version, with the centre column that can be pulled out and mounted horizontally (again, the older version, you actually have to unscrew the head, pull the column out, and re insert it horizontally, unlike the modern versions with the collar that pops out and allows you to swivel the column into horizontal).

My question is, was there a time when the head mounting collar/assembly was polimer? Mine appears to be a black plastic, just something I'm not used to seeing and I can't find any images on the web, leading me to wonder if there was a metal piece that is missing or is this the way they were made for a period of time? Thanks in advance

Peter

Horizontal centre column on an old all-metal Manfrotto 055? I don't think so.

They all had a reversible centre column for low-level shooting, but not a horizontal option.

If you have one with a plastic top, it's fairly recent.

Mine has a sort of black rubber bung on the unused end of the centre column, and a plastic bush to grip the column. Those and the rubber feet are the only synthetic materials used.

Horizontal centre column on an old all-metal Manfrotto 055? I don't think so.

They all had a reversible centre column for low-level shooting, but not a horizontal option.

If you have one with a plastic top, it's fairly recent.

Mine has a sort of black rubber bung on the unused end of the centre column, and a plastic bush to grip the column. Those and the rubber feet are the only synthetic materials used.

I don't want to argue semantics as to what constitutes old, I'm not sure when it was made, all I can tell you is it is Silver, not black. It certainly has a horizontal column configuration option (as does my friend's which is even older than mine, he has had his for a good 20 years). The question is about the part of the column where the head attaches. I'm used to seeing a metal part that mates to the base of the head. This thing is all polymer, and I was wondering if a part is missing or of this was just how they came, as I bought mine second hand in otherwise excellent condition? I'm attaching a picture, pointing to the part in question with the pencil. Horizontal column opening clearly visible as well...

15532153390758241202212645182318.thumb.jpg.7725f817cb851e5a7320f08f616c9b11.jpg

Edited by William Michael

OK. No, that doesn't look right. I'm pretty sure there ought to be a metal plate on top of that plastic part for the head to mate with. Although the locking set-screws for a head appear to be in place.

Having said that, there were so many variants of the 055 that it's difficult to know for sure. Mine has a much shorter column for example.

If you can securely screw a head directly to the ABS, or whatever plastic plate, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. A metal plate sandwiched under the head isn't going to make a lot of difference. Manfrotto's latest heads seem to be mainly plastic anyway.

With the amalgamation of Gitzo and Manfrotto, maybe there's nobody left at Manfrotto that could say for sure!

I was thinking along the same lines, fwiw it looks like a head mating plate, as you mentioned the set screws are there and it appears to be shaped and finished like what it's supposed to be. I've just never seen that before on a "pro" (using the word loosely) level tripod. I suppose if it starts looking like it's not holding up I can replace the centre column. Thanks for chiming in, I know the bogen/manfrotto lineage is about as convoluted as a soap opera story line and I doubt anyone actually knows what happened when and why lol

Yours looks the same as my old one, stolen in a burglary. This is the one I bought with the insurance claim. Ball head is the black thing on top. The silver metal part looks the same shape a thickness as your polymer part, so I reckon they just changed from metal to polymer for your model, and maybe beyond. Please excuse shocking photo. Been in pub!

A7D51BDD-6E91-4A95-89C5-46BD1DF1B1DE.thumb.jpeg.d82064c02d300a6794aa52ba9b1c41d0.jpeg

• Like 1

I have a couple of 055's (CF and aluminum), and the plate at the top of the column is a plastic, not sure of the type, though. I also own a 3021, it's predecessor, and the top plate is aluminum. A company sells Bogen/Manfrotto parts, and your head looks to be identical to the replacement parts sold with this part number.

R055,380 Center Column Ass Disk| BogenTripodParts.com

They have a boatload of parts, and I've purchased grub screws, bubble levels, etc., to repair a number of Bogen tripods.

• Like 1

Yours looks the same as my old one, stolen in a burglary. This is the one I bought with the insurance claim. Ball head is the black thing on top. The silver metal part looks the same shape a thickness as your polymer part, so I reckon they just changed from metal to polymer for your model, and maybe beyond. Please excuse shocking photo. Been in pub!

[ATTACH=full]1288202[/ATTACH]

Thank you, I feel better knowing that, really appreciate the info! Surry to hear about burglary: ( hope it was limited to things you could replace.

I have a couple of 055's (CF and aluminum), and the plate at the top of the column is a plastic, not sure of the type, though. I also own a 3021, it's predecessor, and the top plate is aluminum. A company sells Bogen/Manfrotto parts, and your head looks to be identical to the replacement parts sold with this part number.

R055,380 Center Column Ass Disk| BogenTripodParts.com

They have a boatload of parts, and I've purchased grub screws, bubble levels, etc., to repair a number of Bogen tripods.

That's an amazing link, thank you so much! I actually have a need for a few parts for my huge old bogen and my little 190 finally lost a screw, it's been loose fif a while, I've been lazy...I guess like owner like tripod it decided it was ok to have a screw loose in my household;)

• Like 1