MamiyaAFD II / 105-210 lens compatibility Firmware?

ggriswold

<p>Just received a 645AFD II and all my lenses that worked with my Mamiya 645 AFD worked fine except the 105-210 autofocus. When I attach the lens all is OK and after a few seconds the communication fails and the F stop display goes to dashes and the lens won't stop down. I called Mamiya service and they suggested that I send in the lens first for an evaluation and possible firmware update. I have sent the lens to them and will report back. <br>

According to them the serial numbers on the bodies and lenses do not reflect a manufacturing date like the Hasselblad system. Because of this it is impossible to tell what revision each has in terms of firmware. If the lens service does not work I guess I will send in the camera body. <br>

I was wondering if anyone had experienced a similar problem. Reading all my Google searches it seems that the camera versions, firmware and lens revisions got out of step somehow.... with different combinations of lenses and bodies not working with each other. I found a lot of posts about the D lenses not working with older bodies. None of my lenses are D types.<br>

Maybe we can aggregate some user reports of incompatibility here for others to refer to.</p>

<p>George, that's odd - a lens not communicating with a <em>newer</em> body - usually if that happens wouldn't it be the other way around, with an older body (older firmware) not being compatible? I would have thought that the AFDII would be backwards compatible with anything that the AFD was compatible with. I guess it depends where the firmware resides. </p>

<p>All I can report is that I have one AF body (an AFD) and one AF lens (55-110mm), purchased separately, and they work together fine.</p>

<p>I agree it is weird. I would have thought they would ask me to send the body first, but he thought the lens is the culprit. The Mamiya system is opaque as to manufacture date, firmware, etc and what I got from the discussion is that it could be either. Makes you appreciate newer designs that support the user flashing the firmware.</p>

<p>George, For what it's worth.....I had problems with a 105-210 lens too showing the exact same symptoms as yours. The end result was that the lens couldn't communicate correctly with my digital back attached to the camera and needed a new UPC board to do so. It would work fine with a film back attached but would become totally worthless the second you attached a digital back .....I too hoped it was a firmware update but it wasn't so brace yourself for the possibility of about a $300 repair bill.</p>