mamiya TLR

joel_stowe

Hi all, I am looking to get a medium format camera and am looking at the Mamiya

TLR or going with a Bronica 645 system. I would be using it to take pictures of

landscape, close-ups of fences, old buildings. I may use it to take portraits

every once in a while. With the TLR what lens would you recommend?

Thanks Joel

TLR has limitted lens selection, only 80, 180, and 250 mm on teles, or one wide lens, but that is perhaps all you would want. I settled for 80mm and 180mm.

There is no mirror loud clap noise, and you can sync flash at all shutter speeds. This will practically prevent any "closed eyes" effect in people sensitive to noise or a flash, pre-flash etc.

Picture taking is very quiet operation.

The built-in bellows allows close ups without additional rings, just need to observe the paralax.

TLR is usually lighter than any other type of medium format camera.

Mamiya lenses are of great reputation.

I've been using Mamiya TLRs for over 45 years and have just never seen a reason to look elsewhere for a superior camera. Lens range from 55 to 250 MM, They may be a little on the heavy side but I still manage mine with no problems and there built like a tank. I've never had on fail me in the field and ther virtually maintenance free, and of coarse in this age of a new digital release every few days they're rather inexpensive, Best of luck in your photography.

I've used both the 220 and 330 Pro for several years now. I find I use the 65mm and 105mm more than any other lenses. I shoot similar to what you describe. The 220 is lighter and I'd recommend that if you're going to be carrying it around all day. Takes just as good pictures as the 330.

I have an original C model which is the lightest (and oldest) model I believe. I have the 80mm and 105mm lenses for it, but mainly use the 80mm - I would love to have something wider - but since it is a hobby camera I don't plan on investing much $ in it. I do love using the camera, and it produces great quality shots.

As far as lenses - like I said, something wider for landscapes and a little tighter for portraits. So maybe a 65mm and a 135mm would be a nice kit.

I would recommend the C330f or C330s. As for lenses, like Nadine, I would recommend the 55mm, 80mm (or 105mm), & 180mm Super. I would stick with the all black lenses as they are newer and have slightly better lens coatings. Here is one I took a few years ago with my C330f & 80mm lens. At the bottom of the image is a 100% crop.

http://members.cox.net/leecw/San-Diego01Web2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have both the Mamiya C330S and Bronica ETRSi systems. The TLR is my favorite except for size and weight. I tend to use it mostly in the studio but it would be fine in the field if you don't mind it's imposing mass. It is easy to direct models as the waist level image is reversed the photographer's and model's left/right are the same.

The Bronica 645 is a very nice handling camera that is great for handheld use with a grip and eye level prism. I have both rapid wind grips and prefer the motorized version. The rectangular format almost mandates a prism unless you always shoot in landscape orientation, in which case waist level is fine. The Bronica does have the advantage of interchangeable backs - OTOH you have to carry them in the kit.

Definitely invest in a premium screen (Brightscreen, Beattie, Maxwell) even though they cost as much or more than a used body. It will be over a stop brighter than the factory versions and easier to focus.

Given your use I would suggest the 55mm and 105mm lenses for the TLR. I find both the Mamiya and Bronica lenses to be nice and sharp.