Mamiya TLR Lens testing: the saga continues

tim_brown

I've taken another stab at testing my Mamiya TLR lenses and would like to share what I've learned (much more than how well the lenses perform). Test conditions are a little different from my last test: strobe lights, 1/500 shutter, 1:34 magnification, Delta 100 developed in stock Microphen. The big difference is I learned enough HPGL (Hewlett Packard Graphic Language) to plot my own test chart. It's a series of parallel lines running across the long dimension of an 8.5x11" sheet. Across the middle of the sheet is a perpendicular line to focus on. The lines are in trios with six sets per "octave" like the USAF chart. I put these on the wall, in orthagonal pairs tilted out at a 45 deg. angle. I used tongue depressors taped to the back of the sheets to keep them flat. Target distance thus varies +/- 4". In this way I can monitor focus error. The closest I got to the target (with the 55mm lens) was 74", so line size varied less than 5% due to the tilt. I left some numbers out because the sharest point was at the edge of the sheet. I also need to use a lower magnification to get finer lines than 128 lp/mm. The target has lines from 10-128 at 1:34. The numbers are so much better this way I feel justified to go out and get some Tech Pan for a thorough test. Anyone with an HPGL compatible printer who would like to play with this target can Email me for the file.

<p>

Here's some numbers:

<p>

55mm

F-stop cent edge

<p>

4.5 100 40

<p>

8 112 50

<p>

16 88 64

<p>