Mamiya Super 23: Love at First Light

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>

<p >This is a 1967 Mamiya Super 23. I wanted a 6x9cm camera for landscape work so I could make big prints. I had a 6x9cm roll back for my view camera but I always felt if I was going to carry a view camera, I may as well shoot 4”x5”. I was hoping to get a camera that handled quickly, had good optics and had a rangefinder that wasn’t “squinty”. After researching, I settled on the Mamiya system. The Super 23, and its cousin, the Universal, were the last of the Mamiya “Press” camera line. However by 1967, most press photographers had moved to 35mm camera. The Press cameras did find a niche in the professional photography markets for portrait/ wedding, architectural and studio photography. The Super 23 is a true all-mechanical, classic manual camera with no batteries, no meter and no automation. </p>

</p><div>00WZtO-248293684.jpg.1650bfdda9b0f1b5d82e21d4aa285df3.jpg</div>

• Like 1

<p>The camera looks boxy, and it is, but the inclusion of the detachable grip makes handling the camera quite easy. It’s a modular system where the lenses, backs, focusing screens, extension tubes and optical finders can all be changed to suit the assignment. One of the features that attracted me to this camera was the rangefinder. It’s HUGE and bright. You could drive a bus through that viewfinder. Even with glasses, seeing everything and focusing is a breeze. A selector switch on the rear of the finder provides framing lines for the 100mm, 150mm and 250mm lenses. The wide lenses have separate optical finders that mount on top. You can also focus via an accessory ground glass that attaches to the back when the film holder is removed. </p><div>00WZtQ-248293884.jpg.cb8a7da8aac4dd29d9941c1d3e8e1c29.jpg</div>
  • Like 1

<p>There is also a 100mm f/3.5 lens available which is the standard normal lens for this system. This is a tessar-type design that has a collapsible feature so the lens can focus to infinity when the rear bellows are employed. The lenses are mounted in Seikosha shutters.</p><div>00WZtV-248295784.jpg.9c48b7a0d8999bfdf834fef087fd1a51.jpg</div>

<p>Here is my system which consists of the body with grip, type 3 6x9 back, ground glass with magnifier, 75mm f/5.6 w/finder, 50mm f/6.3 w/finder, extension tube set, 150mm f/5.6, 100mm f/3.5 collapsible and the sports finder mounted on top of the body. </p><div>00WZtW-248295884.jpg.cabc96fd34654b80df467f5285faaabe.jpg</div>
  • Like 1

<p>

<p >Just a word about the120 film backs. The Mamiya S-shaped film backs are renown for their film flatness. One can obtain backs in various formats, 6x4.5, 6x7, or 6x9. There is a multi-format back, the K back, as well. Also there are several styles. The older style is good but have no interlocks and it is possible to double expose a frame.</p>

</p><div>00WZtX-248296084.jpg.5aa2a79c3d958b37c6d8d53882c0f295.jpg</div>

• Like 1

<p>The newer style (type 3), developed for the Universal but works fine on the Super 23, has a unique feature where you can disconnect the handle grip and use a special cable attached to the bottom of the back. In this configuration you can actually hold and fire the camera like a standard rangefinder and, in addition to providing interlocks, it removes a lot of the bulk and a fair amount of weight from the camera. </p><div>00WZta-248297584.jpg.37fb04e9b3c48a4c6ed2e20d617b73e9.jpg</div>
  • Like 1

<p>I would be remiss if I did not mention the rear bellows. The bellow can be extended in any direction to help carry focus, assist in perspective control, and close up photography when fully extended. When combined with extension tubes, significant magnifications can be obtained. Attaching the ground glass with the hooded magnifier helps with pinpoint focusing. There is a slot on the ground glass adapter that allows the insertion of cut film holders that are available as an accessory. Here are a few shots made on various films as noted.</p><div>00WZtb-248297684.jpg.b73eda54f9d1ce480061e881042207b1.jpg</div>
  • Like 2

<p>

<p >Block Building after a Late Spring Snow</p>

<p >75mm lens, Fuji Pro 400</p>

<p >The Mamiya 23 represents one of the most versatile cameras I’ve ever used and makes a great system. On the downside, this is no pocket camera and not meant for the frail of back or weak of wrist. While not suitable for every situation, the camera is fast handling and offers great lenses, superb film flatness, a giant viewfinder and a big, juicy 6x9cm negative that’s sharp corner-to-corner.</p>

<p > </p>

</p><div>00WZtq-248298584.jpg.3aafbe1623066ebcbfd41c12213cf296.jpg</div>

• Like 4

<p>Lovely kit, Louis, and photographs that do it justice. I used to have the Linhof Press 70, a similiar camera, but always hankered after the Mamiya. However, I could never really justify buying one, having cast my vote for the RB/RZ 67 format. That's an immaculate outfit, and I know you'll love using it.</p>

<p>My Mamiya!<br>

Even ABBA had a song about Mamiya :)<br>

,,My Mamiya, here I go again<br />My my, how can I resist you? <br /> My Mamiya, does it show again? <br />My my, just how much I've missed you<br />Yes, I've been brokenhearted<br />Blue since the day we parted<br />Why, why did I ever let you go? <br />My Mamiya, now I really know,<br />My my, I could never let you go".<br>

<em><strong>And then Swedish Hasselblad asked the band to change the lyrics... :)</strong></em></p>

• Like 1