Mamiya RZ67 Pro II Film Advance issue

viktorlam

Hi everyone, i have tried to find a solution through the search option, but i haven't found any with the exact same problem.

I recently bought an Mamiya RZ67, the seller showed me everything and everything seems to work fine the winding works the shutter works etc.

At home i've loaded a Film inside, and winded the Film up to the point where it says 1 on the counter and i can press the shutter. Here comes the problem if i try to advance the film, the body acts normal like it advances the film but the film back it self doesn't. I have a second film back it did the same.

The camera is not in the multiexposure mode. Even with the knob on the filmback itself i can't advance the film manually, something blocks the mechanism.

With further research i've found the reason for the block. There is a tiny pin inside the winding mechanism of the filmback, if i press it inside, it locks in and i can advance to the next film, but it puts itself in this lock again after i advanced it.

Does anybody know what could be the problem, i assume my body has a defect but i am not sure.

Maybe i am too stupid to use this camera, but i watched several tutorials and nobody showed something wich can cause this problem.

Kind Regards

Viktor

Hi Viktor

I wish I had an answer for you but I don't. I had the RZ Pro and now own the RZ PRO II and haven't had the problem (knock on wood!)

Have you removed the Dark Slide? It needs to be removed for you to use the camera. Also, you have to move the switch from the M setting to the middle. The camera won't do it on its own. Try moving the back/backs from landscape to portrait position to see if that makes a difference.

You are NOT TOO STUPID to use the RZ. :) Does the previous owner live nearby? I would contact them and ask for an honest answer. If the body has an issue, I would think that the cost to repair it would be reasonable depending on where you live. Maybe have a CLA (clean, lube, adjust) done and that may solve the problem. Please keep us posted on any updates.

I don't know if you're on facebook but if you are we (RZ Owners) have a users group. Mamiya RZ

Best of Luck

• Like 1

I don't have an RZ67 so maybe this information won't help. But I do have a Bronica SQAi and had a similar problem when I first bought it. I just checked out a couple of photos of an RZ67 Pro II on ebay and I saw the lever on the right side that (I believe) is the multiple exposure selector lever. My Bronica has a very similar lever on it and what I found was that although the lever was in the correct position, the lever itself had a hairline crack in it that caused the lever to slip so it never really got out of multiple exposure mode until I squeezed the plastic lever while moving it from "M" to the normal position. Like I said this might not help but I thought I would try to help. Check out that plastic lever very closely to make sure its working as you think it should..
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Viktor

I wish I had an answer for you but I don't. I had the RZ Pro and now own the RZ PRO II and haven't had the problem (knock on wood!)

Have you removed the Dark Slide? It needs to be removed for you to use the camera. Also, you have to move the switch from the M setting to the middle. The camera won't do it on its own. Try moving the back/backs from landscape to portrait position to see if that makes a difference.

You are NOT TOO STUPID to use the RZ. :) Does the previous owner live nearby? I would contact them and ask for an honest answer. If the body has an issue, I would think that the cost to repair it would be reasonable depending on where you live. Maybe have a CLA (clean, lube, adjust) done and that may solve the problem. Please keep us posted on any updates.

I don't know if you're on facebook but if you are we (RZ Owners) have a users group. Mamiya RZ

Best of Luck

Hi Stephen

Thanks for your reply

After long research i found out that the pin from the body which tells the filmback it made the exposure, is loose so i've sent my RZ to a local repair store. I found a weird video on youtube how to fix it but it was still to tricky for me, and i am to scared to brick my RZ completely.

• Like 2

I don't have an RZ67 so maybe this information won't help. But I do have a Bronica SQAi and had a similar problem when I first bought it. I just checked out a couple of photos of an RZ67 Pro II on ebay and I saw the lever on the right side that (I believe) is the multiple exposure selector lever. My Bronica has a very similar lever on it and what I found was that although the lever was in the correct position, the lever itself had a hairline crack in it that caused the lever to slip so it never really got out of multiple exposure mode until I squeezed the plastic lever while moving it from "M" to the normal position. Like I said this might not help but I thought I would try to help. Check out that plastic lever very closely to make sure its working as you think it should..

Hi Andy

Thanks for your reply and help.

I think thats good to know, because i was thinking to get a Bronica as an alternative to the RZ. It's smaller and lighter.

Well at least i've learned something about buying online, you never know what you're going to get. =P

• Like 2