Mamiya RB67 and Sekor 180mm f4.5

gerrygraves

I have an RB67 and Sekor 90mm and 180mm lenses. When I mount the 90mm everything works perfectly, shutter fires, mirror goes up fully the light baffle opens fully and film is exposed. If I remove the lens and back and fire the shutter, everything works perfectly as well.

But when I mount the 180mm, the shutter fires, the mirror goes up but the light baffle only goes up about 10 mm and the film is not exposed.

As far as I can tell, both the lens and the body are cocked when I mount the lens and the lens is mounted correctly.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Doesn't make sense. With the lens installed and body/lens cocked, rack the focus all the way out with bellows fully extended. Try to fire the camera. Try this with both lenses multiple times.

What happens?

Sounds like a body malfunction. Is the body a Pro, Pro S or Pro SD? If a Pro, it has some age and needs maintenance or to be replaced.

Wilmarco Imaging

Wilmarco Imaging, on Flickr

wilmarcoimaging on Instagram

The body is a plain RB67 Pro (not Pro-S or Pro-SD.

The 90mm lens is an NB

The 180mm lens has no designation on the front (so presumably Non-C)

I bought the body 90mm lens etc. all together, but have just bought the 180mm.

The baffle does not hit the lens, if I fire the shutter off-camera everything seems OK. If I extend the bellows all the way out, nothing changes.

Thanks for all the quick responses.

• Like 1

Your 180 may have a spacer ring that needs removing first

The 180mm lens will just work on all models of RB cameras.

It may be supplied with a ring to help adapt it to SD models of the RB camera. This is just a spacer ring, that is a friction fit on the back of the lens. To remove it grasp it with two or three fingers and twisting slightly, pull it off. With this ring mounted no lens will fit the Pro and ProS models. So remove it. It's like taking off a lens cap, most people can do that!

Link

RB67 lens question / Mamiya KL 180mm f/4.5 L-A | Mamiya RB67 | Flickr

• Like 1

Your 180 may have a spacer ring that needs removing first

The 180mm lens will just work on all models of RB cameras.

It may be supplied with a ring to help adapt it to SD models of the RB camera. This is just a spacer ring, that is a friction fit on the back of the lens. To remove it grasp it with two or three fingers and twisting slightly, pull it off. With this ring mounted no lens will fit the Pro and ProS models. So remove it. It's like taking off a lens cap, most people can do that!

Link

RB67 lens question / Mamiya KL 180mm f/4.5 L-A | Mamiya RB67 | Flickr

• Like 1

Also... when firing the lens off camera, make sure you actually see the shutter open n close when it fires?... you should see light. If not, you are either in mirror up mode or the shutter isnt working properly.

There is a very common problem with shutters if they were dropped or sometimes its just age... a tiny spring pops off its post. The spring is responsible for opening n shutting the shutter leaves. Simple fix, but the lens has to be stripped down to get to it. The 180 non C is rather easy to open.

• Like 1
The more you say, the less people listen.

All 180mm lenses are compatible with all RB67 bodies provided, in the case of the KL lens, the spacer ring is removed for use with Pro and Pro S bodies.

The body is described as a Pro and the lens as a non-C. These are compatible without question.

Fire the body ten times, with no lens. What happens?

Fire the body + 90mm lens ten times. What happens?

Fire the 180mm lens by itself, not attached to the body. What happens?

It seems the body is the culprit but you need to do some more diagnosis. How long have you had this equipment? Has it always functioned like this?

Wilmarco Imaging

Wilmarco Imaging, on Flickr

wilmarcoimaging on Instagram

by deduction... if the camera works with the 90mm, the problem is the lens, not the body.

My thoughts also. Somehow the 180 lens is preventing the normal chain of events in the camera from reaching their final conclusion after releasing the shutter - the light baffle only partially operates !

I suppose it's possible though that the body has just developed a "light baffle" problem independently of any lens being fitted, but if the body is tested ten times as Wilmarco has suggested, the body might have a clean bill of health if the light baffle works properly each time. However, the action of extending and retracting the bellows apparently can affect the light baffle operation. So perhaps the testing of the body alone, and then with lens fitted, should be carried out while extending and retracting the bellows

Link about light baffle sticking in rb67 pros

Mamiya RB67 Pro S Light Baffle Sticking

• Like 1

Everything works perfectly with the 90mm lens and with no lens fitted at all bellows extensions. I think it has to be the lens:-(.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have only just joined photo.net and am really pleased to see such an active medium format forum. I have only recently added film back to my photography after years of digital and am enjoying the challenge of working with a limited number of exposures and the fantastic results of the medium format.

Btw I am in Somerset, England.

• Like 1

did you fire the 180 off camera and watched the shutter actually open each time?

i have a feeling the mirror up lever is stuck and blocking the actuating ring from making a complete cycle.

if you were in nyc, id take a look at your lens over coffee.

• Like 1
The more you say, the less people listen.

• 2 weeks later...