Mamiya Press lens repair

joshua daniels

I was hoping someone could direct me to a reputable / reliable repair person or

facility that might help repair a minor problem with a 100/3.5 Mamiya lens on

my Mamiya Press camera. The lens seems to have some grit or sand in the

focusing helical and needs to be disassembled, cleaned, and regreased. I

realize that any number of shops might do this, but I would prefer working with

someone who knows these cameras and lenses. Suggestions appreciated!

http://www.procamerarepair.com/

These people have done CLA's on my 150/5.6 and 50/6.3. For my taste the helicoid

grease they put in the 150 was way too stiff, but the work was otherwise competent.

They also repaired a damaged rangefinder coupling adjust screw in my 100/2.8, but that's

more of a mixed experience--the repair worked well for about 3 years, but eventually

failed catastrophicly, causing irreperable damage to the brass attachment on the helicoid

that the adjuster screw rides on.

Really, these lenses aren't rocket science, I was able to break down the 150 and relube the

too-tight helicoid myself. It's not like you have a lot to lose, used 100's are hardly more

than the price of a CLA. Note that there is a specific lube for helicoids, motor oil and

Vaseline are not substitutes :-)

It may be dried grease in there. My 100/3.5 got a gritty bound up feeling (I hate that!) one day for no known reason. I tried a squirt of solvent (umm, lighter fluid) and it has been fine for several months. I have no idea if this could do harm to the lens (maybe some little plastic bit is hidden in there...)

• 5 years later...

<p> I've had the Seiko shutters from my Mamiya Super 23 serviced at Advance Camera in Beaverton Oregon (503-292-7298) with wonderful results. My F2.8 100mm and the F3.5 100mm lenses work flawlessly now. They also do a great job on the old Compur dial set and rim set shutters as well. <br>

John</p>