Mamiya nc1000 (35mm) Shutter working only in Bulb mode

Hi all,

I've read pretty much every post that mentions Mamiya nc1000 from this forum, but I couldn't find my problem encountered by anyone, so here I am.

I recently received a Mamiya nc1000, bought the batteries (LED works) but it seems that the shutter only works as BULB i.e. stays open for as long as I press the shutter release button. This happens even if I set the shutter speed ring to any other value like 1/60 1/250 1/500 1/1000.

I have read that if the batteries are not working properly, what you normally get is:

a) shutter won't work at all

b) shutter will work at 1/1000 speed no matter what shutter speed is chose by the photographer.

My problem is that it works only in Bulb mode, no matter what I choose. Have used Alkaline LR44 1.5V Duracell batteries (two of them).

Any help much appreciated.

Dan

Hi,

If I understand the user's manual correctly, it says that without batteries the camera will only work at the "Bulb" setting, and at 1/1000 sec. if other shutter speeds are set. In which case it doesn't sound like a battery-related issue, especially if you see the LEDs light up.

The shutter speed dial is around the mount, so it could be something like a broken linkage or bad contact behind the mount, where it it stuck on "B" regardless of what setting the ring is at. Or, possibly a shutter capacitor issue. Sometimes, older electronic cameras that haven't been used in a long time take a while to "charge up" and for the shutter speeds to respond as they should. If this is the case, leave the batteries in it for a few days and periodically keep firing the shutter at different speeds. Those are my best guesses--unfortunately, there is very little repair information available on these cameras. Hope this helps a bit.

Edited by m42dave