Mamiya C220: Is it supposed to make weird click sound when winding?

jordan_o1

<p>Hey guys,</p>

<p>Just got my C220 and haven't got any film for it yet. I put in the take up spool that came with my camera up top, but I'm wondering if this sound is normal.</p>

<p>When I wind it, the take up spool sort of quickly 'stops' every quarter-turn on the film winder. It makes a little hollow-y click noise, a bit like a clock.</p>

<p>Just wondering if this is normal. Not sure if it'd behave differently once film is putting tension on it or not, but it seems like the problem is that the little silver nub (not the rotating one) doesn't stick into the take up spool far enough to keep it smooth. When I slide the spool over a bit the noise stops, but it doesn't stay slid over, so should I stick something in the side to keep it a bit off center so it rotates smoother?</p>

<p>Also, the camera back doesn't close 100% evenly, the right side sticks out a tiny bit more. But don't think it's a huge problem. If anything I can just tape the back up or something. Thanks guys</p>

<p>If it is like the C3, there is a gear that engages the take up spool. If memory serves me correctly, it adjusts the crank throw for proper film advance as you go through the roll. If you have a plastic spool in that position, the gear is probably hitting the webs of plastic.</p>

<p>Have the C220. It makes a little clicking noise when winding film. Winding in reverse, you could wind it forever, Even, with film in it. When I got my 220, I got it very cheap because parts of the winding mechanism was gone. I contacted Mamiya, and was able to get new parts. Inside, there is a spring, a gear with teeth and a lever that locks onto the teeth. It is a ratchet type mechanism. It should work with any type of film spool. There is a small screw under the film crank on the silver plate. You could take the plate off to check if some item is missing. The clicking is the lever riding along the teeth.</p>

<p>Hey guys, got some pics now of what I mean so I can explain it better.</p>

<p><a href="http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=editedyqy.jpg">http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=editedyqy.jpg</a></p>

<p>In this pic I slid the spool over so it doesnt make the clicky noise, if I keep it centered, the left side is even looser and the spool doesnt stick to the right side enough, causing the spool to 'stick' every quarter turn due to not being secure enough in the right nub.</p>

<p>Is there something I can stick on the left side so it'll still rotate without tension (from whatever would be stuck in there), but also keep the spool where it's supposed to be?</p>

<p>Thanks </p>

<p>Make sure the take-up spool is properly engaged on the pin on the left side. On the right side, make sure the two small lugs that turn the spool when you wind on. Your C220 is a slightly different model to mine. If you turn the winder without a film in the camera it does make a clicking noise about every 1/4 turn - that's normal.</p>