I finally shot my first roll with my Mamiya C 220 after reading as much as I

could on the camera. But in the second shot I started noticing a troubling

behaviour... sometimes after firing the shutter, the film would not advance. I

had the body set to "Single" Exposure. But then I move to Multiple, but

nothing happen. I can shot all the times that I want, but the Film wind knob

doesnt move.

Help please is my first TLR and I was so happy until I made my first shot

Let's recap:

Film loaded, wound so the arrow on the backing paper matches the start marks.

Back in 120 mode (or 220 if that is the film length you are using), and body switch set the same. Camera in 'single'. Close the back properly.

Wind on to frame 1. If the camera does not stop at 1, check that the back is completely latched on both sides.

Make sure the internal baffle is in the 'Lock' position. 'Unlock' has the baffle up for lens changing.

Make exposure 1.

Camera should wind on when you turn the knob or the fold out crank.

If it does not, cap the lens, switch to 'multi' (you may have to hold the selector in place), cock the shutter and make a dummy exposure.

If it still will not advance there may be a problem with the body.

Graham

Hi Graham

Thanks but still I had the problem

I make a Dummy exposure and the knob moves but on the next shot happen again

1) I make a shot

2) I want to make the second shot in the next frame but the knob doesn't move.

An other idea?

Vero

If it does not, cap the lens, switch to 'multi' (you may have to hold the selector in place), cock the shutter and make a dummy exposure.

If it still will not advance there may be a problem with the body.

Graham

Don't panic. It may be something as simple as a misloaded roll of film. If, after you've followed Graham's advice things still don't work out, you'll need to waste at least part of the roll you have in the camera now. Open up the back and see if things look ok in there. If not, remove the film, wind it back onto the supply spool and try again. That roll will be a waste, but at least you'll have had some practice loading what may be an unfamiliar machine.

Here's how the frame / advance lock operates. When you load the film and advance to frame 1, the take-up spool winds the film counter using a sprung serrated wheel in the upper film chamber. The film advance locks when enough film has been wound.

When you make an exposure, you cock the lens by hand, then press down on the release on the right-side of the front frame. On most Mamiya TLRs the shutter trips _after_ the film advance / exposure interlock, so you have to be decisive about the exposure.

Once the exposure has been made, the body will not expose another frame until a) you switch to multi to make a double exposure, or b) you advance the film. All Multi does is disable the lock that keeps you from using the shutter release again after you cock the shutter. It should not have any effect on the film advance.

I think there is a chance that the film advance lock is not being cleared when you make the exposure with the release on the front frame of the camera.

This may be because the shutter release lever on the lens is out of position, and trips early. That would stop the body release moving far enough to release the film advance. The only way to test this without sacrificing the film is to mount another lens. You need the internal baffle open to duplicate the opterating conditions. If you have a changing bag or just go under the covers of the bed tonight, and remove the lens, switch to multi and see if that releases the advance.

The other possibility is a fault with the body, but it is not common.

Graham

Sometimes the lens sitting 'low' can do this. Please re-seat the lens, only after firing manually a few times while not attached. Then use a dummy roll in the camera, and advance/shoot/advance all the way w/o the lens attached. This is how I use to check body, and framing (with a sharpie on the film through the lens port).