Mamiya 80mm f2.8 Sekor lens on a C330 won't work in BULB mode...

stephen_komp

I recently purchased a Mamiya c330 with an EX+ condition 80mm f2.8 Sekor lens. The lens works great and is accurate at all speeds. However, when I switch it to BULB, it won't stay open. It closes immediately. Am I doing something wrong? This is my first experience with a Mamiya TLR.

Thanks - Steve

FWIW, I just pulled my C330 off the shelf and checked various lenses. They all stay open when the lever is held down, both old chrome and newer black shutters. That's with the lens in hand, not on the camera. I didn't check using the body release. More importantly, I've found the inner surface(s) of the rear group on these lenses are made of a glass that's like candy to fungus. Seriously, they are the most fungus-prone lenses I've ever seen. The old chrome ones are the worst. Black shutters less so. Keep a close eye on them (use a penlight) and clean or get them cleaned at the first sign of haze, speckles, roughness or threads.
  • Like 1

FWIW, I just pulled my C330 off the shelf and checked various lenses. They all stay open when the lever is held down, both old chrome and newer black shutters. That's with the lens in hand, not on the camera. I didn't check using the body release. More importantly, I've found the inner surface(s) of the rear group on these lenses are made of a glass that's like candy to fungus. Seriously, they are the most fungus-prone lenses I've ever seen. The old chrome ones are the worst. Black shutters less so. Keep a close eye on them (use a penlight) and clean or get them cleaned at the first sign of haze, speckles, roughness or threads.