Mamiya 7II will not fire flash

Discussion in 'Medium Format' started by ronnie_pettit|2, Oct 20, 2009.

1. My Mamiya 7II will not fire flash either from the hot shoe or a PC cord. Anyone heard of this issue? No film in camera but using mulit-exposure button to cock and fire shutter. The shutter and meter work fine, just no flash? any ideas?
    thanks
    ronnie pettit
    Signature URL removed. Not allowed per photo.net guidelines.
    00UncX-182027584.jpg

2. Not to be churlish, but you have, of course, verified the flash unit, plus x-synch cable, work on other cameras, thus isolating the problem to the M7ii body?

3. yes. i confirmed the flash and cords on other cameras. i know i have used this 7II with a pc cord in the past...but I also rememeber it not firing a flash from the hotshoe and me thinking it was the flash, or that it didn't match up to the hotshoe connection on the mamiya. i hope i didn't fry the dang thing with a vivitar 283 or something.

4. Since, as I believe, the lens triggers the flash have you tried cleaning the contacts between lens and body?
    00Unlg-182133584.jpg

5. thanks for that idea. i cleaned the contacts. still does not fire. my next trick will be to waist some film and load a roll to see if there is something i don't know about it needing film loaded to fire the flash sync. aarrrg.

6. thanks for that idea. i cleaned the contacts. still does not fire. my next trick will be to waist some film and load a roll to see if there is something i don't know about it needing film loaded to fire the flash sync. aarrrg.

7. Before wasting a film, try to fire the shutter by keeping the back open, and looking through the lens will of course confirm its operation.
    Best
    Benoit Sauzier

8. the shutter fires fine and the light meter works fine. there is just no power going throught the flash pc sync or the hotshoe

9. If you purchased this camera used, it may have a "history."
    Years ago, I fried the electronics of two Mamiya 6's and three lenses in short order - due to the high sync outlet voltage from my ancient Norman P2000 power pack (older units are more likely to have this problem). The repairs totalled twelve hundred dollars - and the long term fix, in the form of a sync voltage regulator - cost about ten bucks (if I'd only thought of this sooner!).
    Thing is, I could, after the "incedent" but prior to repair, still take ambient light photos - although come to think of it, I lost maybe one or two frames in this mode also. At any rate, this is just a thought.

10. that's what i'm afraid of. i bought the 7II new. and i do have an old school speedotron studio light set, but i have always used a wein safe sync on it...but i have also put an old vivitar 283 on my mamiya once. man, if i fried the circuit, i'm gunna be pissed. good thing i almost always only use it for landscape work.