Mamiya 7 with a sliding back or digital back?

oman

Is it possible to place a sliding back or digital back on a mamiya 7? l don't see why it couldn't be possible!

Would really love to turn my mamiya into a digital mamiya 7d. Thanks in advance.

Oman

Look at the horrible problems leica are (still) having with the M8 and the length of time it took to develop - it's not as easy as slapping a digital back on it!

Digital RFs are very hard to make because the sensor is so close to the lens causing problems with ir cut filter thickness and the light hitting the sensor very obliquely. Leica said a couple of years back there would never be a digital M because of these issues.

Well if you're confident why don't you just do it? If you succeed and its not too difficult or expensive, I'm sure there'll be people here willing to buy your instructions or conversion kit, quite possibly including me. Hell there might be people here who'd pay just to watch! But you have to speculate to accumulate; faint heart never won fair lady and so on.

Or of course you could buy a scanner as a risk free compromise, but its only a wuss that would take a route that's bound to work, right?

Got to go. I need to turn my car into a vacuum cleaner :-)

There is already a solution, used for Polaroid backs : the NPC Proback for the Mamiya 7 cameras uses a free-floating fiber optic lens to transfer the image from the camera film plane to the Polaroid film plane : <a href="http://www.npcphoto.com/html/product_catalog.htm">NPC Photo website</a><br>

The Polaroid back is already very expensive, but technically speaking, it is a basis.<br>

"I use TMAX 100, developed in xtol, scan it with a Nikon 9000,"

Yep. Mamiya 7 + TMX100 + N8000 is flipping amazing, and the only way I can edge out my 5D. Anything less simply isn't worth the bother nowadays.

But to get back to the original question, the largest digital backs are still quite a bit smaller than 56 x 56 mm, so there's really no point in putting one on a Mamiya 7. If you can afford a digital back, you can afford a 'blad and a box full of Zeiss lenses, which will get you wider and longer and with more choices in between than the Mamiya would with the same back.