Mamiya 7 II with glasses

arrthur_nichols

I have no experience with that camera, but you will benefit from glasses that correct your near vision to about 5 feet (typical reading glasses are too strong). That distance varies from one camera to another, so maybe your optometrist can measure it and prescribe "shooting glasses" for you.

Typically, corrective diopters for cameras max out at about +/- 3 -- I don't know about Mamiya's. However, my glasses Rx is around -7, so there's no question that a corrective finder isn't going to work, nor that I have to wear my glasses to keep from running into things.

I love my 7 II, and haven't run into any major problems using it or the auxiliary viewfinder for the 43mm lens -- both seem to have a fairly high eyepoint. Occasionally I'll have to shift the position of my eye to best pick up the rangefinder, but it's not difficult to find it or to focus.

Still, it's a big investment -- rent first if you can.

I use the Pentax 67 system and my aging eyes require glasses now. At first, I shot with my glasses on. I kept banging my glasses into the viewfinder. It was very annoying. However, I recently screwed a +1 corrective diopter from Pentax into the viewfinder. That works beautifully for me and I now can focus perfectly, looking through the viewfinder, without my glasses on. It's once again just like before I started needing glasses. As long as your needed optical correction isn't too extreme, I recommend a corrective diopter.

I agree with Robert, above: no problems using the camera whilst wearing glasses but it can be a bit of a squint to see the exposure information. However, it hasn't been a problem in practice and I wouldn't want to put you off buying this excellent camera - there is simply nothing to touch it!

John