Mamiya 645DF/DM 'branding'

Discussion in 'Medium Format' started by colorspace, Dec 19, 2011.

1. I suppose this is directed at anyone who has either recently acquired a DM kit or works in retail:
    I've seen two versions of the back supplied with the kit. One just says 'Mamiya' in obnoxiously large letters at the top, and the other - what I understood to be the most recent version - has 'Mamiya' in smaller letters, and 'Leaf Aptus II' in the bottom left hand corner.
    If anyone is clued in and can share their knowledge as to which one is current/THE most up to date, that would be greatly appreciated.

2. Phase One owns Leaf now. Phase One has a stake in Mamiya, and Mamiya makes all of the Phase One cameras.
    Leaf brands some of the backs for Mamiya for use on Mamiya 645 (and RZ cameras with an adapter) ... if the mount is for a different camera like a Contax 645, the branding includes the Leaf Aptus-II logo. These backs are marketed by Mamiya distribution to retailers ... like B&H. I believe that all of these backs are Aptus-II versions.
    If you go to a Phase One dealer (which I recommend), the Branding will be Leaf ... which is now a Phase One brand. The Phase One Mamiya cameras are not branded Mamiya either, they are branded as Phase One.

3. The Phase One Mamiya cameras are not branded Mamiya either, they are branded as Phase One.
    As are the D lenses and all manner of accessories, including things like the "L bracket".​