Mamiya 645 Super left-hand grip

jamesmck

<p>I have a left-hand grip on my newly acquired Mamiya 645 Super, and I cannot figure out how to make the shutter release button on the grip fire the camera shutter. The camera manual makes no mention of the grip, and I cannot find any instructions for the grip itself. Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>I'm guessing--perhaps--that there never was one and that you're looking at a lefty grip for the TLR or preceding Mamiya 645 series. If that's the case, then it probably won't ever talk to your Super. Frankly, the best $ you'll spend on your Super will buy a winder, preferably the older, cheaper version made for the Super. These greatly improve the otherwise awful ergonomics of these bodies and transform them into a fast handling 35mm-like MF camera.</p>

<p>Thanks, Gary. This is a grip meant for the Super. It came with a connector to mate the grip base to the camera (Terminal Adapter RA401), which I thought was only to enable the flash show on the grip. Wrong! Connected it, and the shutter release works just fine.</p>

<p>I must disagree about the winder/grip. To me the grip just isn't comfortable enough or well-fitted enough to inspire confidence. I'm always nervous about it slipping out of my hand or just becoming detached, since the little blue release lever is easily knocked. It's also not that quick and adds unnecessary weight, bulk and reliance on batteries. Like the 'blad 500EL - what's the point of a not-particularly-fast motorwind that almost doubles the bulk and weight of the camera?<br>

If you're used to nestling a rollfilm SLR in your hands with your right-hand index finger over the shutter release, then the winder grip is no big deal to use or not. I must admit though, that the Super and Pro could use a secondary shutter release like the one fitted to the top of the M645 & 1000s.</p>

<p>Er, Joe, the Mamiya 645 isn't square, which means there's and portrait and landscape orientation. Handheld, the Super/Pro/ProTL Mamiya 645s are awkward without a winder.Fumbling with them invariably results in accidental shutter releases since there's nothing to grip except the lens. The winder/body connection is quite solid(the button is shouldered to prevent accidental detachment) and the weight isn't that considerable--this is MF, after all. The winder makes these as fast-handling as the Pentax 645.</p>